1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sickness record

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by crazycatloveruk, Nov 7, 2018.

1. crazycatloveruk

crazycatloveruk New commenter

Hi
    I'm new to posting on TES, over the last couple of weeks I have been seeking comfort by reading others posts. I am currently signed off with workplace anxiety and depression. I know that I want to leave the profession now but I am really worried what effect having the last couple of weeks off will look like to future employers. In 13 years, this is the first time I have ever been signed off, usually I could handle work pressures and deal with my anxious feelings without it affecting my work. This time it was different a certain situation led to it spiralling out of control and I knew that I could not carry on doing my job properly.
    Is there anybody out there who can reassure me that this will not go against me for future employment (not teaching) ? Thanks

agathamorse likes this.
  2. artbinki

artbinki New commenter

Me! Dont worry. I've been a HT and recognise that life causes ups and downs and that that includes teachers. As long as your record in school and references are good - that's what matters. I had a 7 weeks off once after a personal trauma and still went on to get an AHT and then DHT and HT in another school ( despite the fact that older colleagues came to my house and told me that if i didnt come back to school i'd ruin my chances of promotion) I had been teaching for 14 years then - im up to 25 now x

3. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

I can't blame for wanting to leave 'the profession'.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. crazycatloveruk

crazycatloveruk New commenter

Thanks @artbinki, a little reassurance although you did go into teaching jobs still but hopefully it will be the same in other industries.
    I didn't resign in October as I thought it is not right to resign and make life changing decisions when I am feeling like this, however I'm not sure I am going to be able to cope teaching full time again at the moment or ever. Is there an option to go part time ( at least for a while) do you think? Is this something I would discuss with occupational health?
    Sorry for all the questions, just trying to find answers and alleviate my anxiousness. Thanks

agathamorse likes this.