1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sickness pay?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by disconic, Feb 17, 2016.

1. disconic

disconic New commenter

I wonder if any of you lovely and knowledgeable people could help me. I've been on long tem placement at a school since Oct. I am still paid on a daily supply rate. One day last week I was so ill I had to ring in sick, my question is because I've worked for over 12 weeks am I entitled to any sort of sickness pay? I have my pay slip already and I have payment for the other 4 days.
    Thank you in advance or any advice

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

As agency staff you are casual labour and not an employee. You will not get paid by your agency for anything other than the hours you worked. If you are too ill to work at all and unemployable, you can claim benefits. Short answer, no.
    The only entitlement you have after 12 weeks is your right to be paid to scale according to Agency Workers' Regulations. This is assuming you have a standard contract and not a Regulation 10 (Swedish Derogation) or guaranteed work/pay contract.
    You can be maintained by a client school on this casual basis for up to four years before you get any employee's rights.

3. disconic

disconic New commenter

thanks