1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sickness in NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Floss61, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Floss61

Floss61 New commenter

I am an NQT who unfortunately has lost 45 days (including half term) due to severe illness. I am now back at school and have had an extremely busy half term! Will I have to increase my NQT time by the whole 45 days? Even if I meet all the standards?

2. Hi, the maximum time off you can have is 29 days. 30 days or more means that you will have to complete the extra days. It will not stop progression up the pay scale, if that's a worry. The LA and school has no choice in this it is a legal requirement.

James

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You will have to add on the entire number of missing days. At the moment your tally stands at 45 days. If you have any other absences from work before the end of this schools year, the number will increase. It's not just illness that is logged but any absence (funeral, your own child ill etc).
    You don't count days when the school closes because of lack of heating or bad weather conditions. I don't know what happens if the school is open but you can't get there because of being snowed in at home, for example.
    It is an unfair calculation as everyone else can miss out on 29 days and still complete Induction if they are meeting all the standards in the original time-scale for Induction. I suppose they decided that they had to have a cut-off somewhere and if the allowed someone with 30 days off to ignore 29 of the days, they'd be in the daft position of delaying a verdict until the NQT has worked one more day of a new school year.

4. Floss61

Floss61 New commenter

it included 5 days of half term hols but not weekends, so still 40 even if you take off the 5

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You only count the days when you were absent and should have been in school or were absent from a course on a school day.
    You don't count any days of school holiday periods.

6. Floss61

Floss61 New commenter

Thanks all who responded. I was really worried about this as only on a temporary contract. Good news though have now been offered a permanent one despite lengthy absence...so happy as I love this school !