1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sickness and diarrehea

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by HappyPixie, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Have just been sent home due to throwing up all night and then at work (thought it was just something I ate, but apparently not - didn't want to infect anyone at school, but you know what schools are like about phoning in sick so I went in this morning), and now have diarrehea as well - as I was leaving I said to the office I would call tomorrow to update them, and was told I needed to call by 7.30am every morning and unless I was actually throwing up still I would be expected to go in.
    I queried this as my TA had already told me she didn't want to see me until at least Fri (the 48 hours thing), and was told that was just for children.
    Am now confused and wondering whether it is just the pit bull of a cow in the office (whom everyone hates apparently for being way way above her station) or whether this is a new thing in schools to clamp down on anyone who happens to be pulling a fast one? I don't really want to infect my collegues, nor do I want to stress and worry about this - I don't feel I can phone the head and ask because she is similarly aloof as the office lady.
    Cheers to anyone that replies - feeling sorry for myself I guess - not really nice to be barked at that you are expected back asap when leaving trying not to throw up all over the floor :(

2. Have just been sent home due to throwing up all night and then at work (thought it was just something I ate, but apparently not - didn't want to infect anyone at school, but you know what schools are like about phoning in sick so I went in this morning), and now have diarrehea as well - as I was leaving I said to the office I would call tomorrow to update them, and was told I needed to call by 7.30am every morning and unless I was actually throwing up still I would be expected to go in.
    I queried this as my TA had already told me she didn't want to see me until at least Fri (the 48 hours thing), and was told that was just for children.
    Am now confused and wondering whether it is just the pit bull of a cow in the office (whom everyone hates apparently for being way way above her station) or whether this is a new thing in schools to clamp down on anyone who happens to be pulling a fast one? I don't really want to infect my collegues, nor do I want to stress and worry about this - I don't feel I can phone the head and ask because she is similarly aloof as the office lady.
    Cheers to anyone that replies - feeling sorry for myself I guess - not really nice to be barked at that you are expected back asap when leaving trying not to throw up all over the floor :(

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

First of all, take care of yourself and get better.
    The general advice seems to be that you should not go back to work until 24 - 48 hours<u> after the sympoms have stopped. </u>
    Take no notice of the old bat in the office - I'm sure she'd think differently if she went down with the bug too.
    Now, feet up and sip those fluids!

4. Ignore the pit bull - doe sshe have a medical qualification? She shouldnot be giving medical advice.

I had gastro enteritis a while back and I would not have been able to work for at least a week, and for a couple of weeks after that I was weak and tired.

Call NHS direct - they are actually good for this kind of thing. Get some flat coke and look after yourself.

5. It's going around - there are a few off at our place with it and they all had at least three days off.

6. This is a sh1te thread

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

[​IMG]

Or go in and vomit all over the reception area. Turn to any parents present, smile pathetically and explain that it's hard for teachers to be off when they're ill...

then vomit again.

8. LOL @inky - thank you, wish I had done that!! :D
    Many thanks to everyone for the advice - I am finally feeling much better now and managed to keep water and some cooked chicken down on Friday, so will be back in tomorrow.
    Thank you to all for being so lovely, unlike my school - and they wonder why people can't wait to leave it! lol