1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sickness - Advice please

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by jrosie13, Feb 4, 2020.

1. jrosie13

jrosie13 New commenter

I am currently in the early stages of pregnancy and very much struggling. I was signed off for two weeks with Hyperemesis Gravidarum. I returned but after a day and a half (and being sick during a lesson!) it was too much and had to go home sick.
    I was then called by the HT, who was not happy.
    They firstly began the conversation by questioning me about an incident in a lesson that day (completely unrelated).
    I was told "You we're not sick on your first day back, so it is obviously manageable" and "you have 9 months of this".
    I was absolutely speechless, I explained that I had been back and forth to the doctors and had taken all medication they had prescribed to help alleviate the sickness.
    They then proceeded to tell me how only they can give permission for staff to leave for home. I explained that I was told I could go home by DHT, and wasn't aware that I needed permission from themselves.
    The conversation ended by telling me how my absence is having an impact on my students learning, and to update them once I had been to the doctors.

Surely this is wrong?! Not only am I suffering with HG I am now incredibly stressed and upset by the conversation that took place. Any advice? I really don't know what to do.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter