1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sickness Absence Meeting - ADVICE NEEDED please

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by planetarium64, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Please forgive me, I have posted this in different forums as I don't really know which one is best for my dilemma. I am writing under my husband's name as I don't want to be identified.
    To cut a long story short my school was closed and amalgamated for the start of the Autumn Term, I really struggled with the new setting and management and had health concerns and after a term from hell I was signed off with stress.
    I have been off since January and my school have followed all the managing sickness guidelines to the letter...I was referred to OH and they agreed that I was still suffering from work related stress, they advised that I should attend counselling and recommended a review in 4-6 weeks. My first counselling session is next week.
    This morning I received a letter asking me to attend a meeting to discuss the implications of my absence and the long-term absence procedure. It stated I could take a union rep with me or other colleague.
    I contacted my rep immediately and she dismissed the need for her to be there saying it was just a welfare meeting. She knows how difficult this has been for me and has suggested a compromise agreement in the past but this morning she said I need to look at getting back to work and she didn;t see the need for her to be at the meeting.
    I am at a loss as to what to do, I feel this meeting will only lead to competency procedures as I cannot say when I will feel mentally able to return to that workplace, however I feel more than capable of returning to another school as it is the workplace and not the job that has affected me so much!
    Has anyone attended such a meeting - any advice as to what to do would be greatfully appreciated, I feel I've just taken a massive step backwards.

2. I answered your other thread too. What you suggested in the other post sounds good btw if you feel up to it.

3. I would feel uncomfortable about conducting a meeting without your having representation. i think you should contact the regional office of your Association and ask who they will send since your rep doesn't feel the need. You are entitled to representation and that is your union's job. Stick with them though as another union won't pick this up.

4. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I've replied to your PM.

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Your union rep should not be judging whether it's time for you to return to work -that's down to your GP.
    You should have someone at the meeting with you - rearrange it if needed.

Good luck and take care. XX

6. Sorry about your problems. Contact your area union office for representation at the meeting if your local rep wont help. They should be there with you.
    Hope it goes well for you.

7. Hi everyone,
    I found out that HR would be at the meeting (and following on from a counselling session whereby the mere mention of work made me feel very distressed), I decided to contact my rep again. She said that she didn;t mean to give the impression that she didn't feel a need to attend the eeting, just that it wasn;t a necessity. Anyway, she has agreed to attend with me and is contacting HR directly to arrange a mutually convenient time for everyone, so I am feeling much better about attending.
    I still feel I just need to get out of the situation as soon as posible, but how do I explain my situation on a job application without compomising my chances of future employment?

8. Do you even have to attend the meeting? can't your union rep go instead?