1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sickness absence and school insurance

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bob_the_tom8to, Feb 13, 2020.

1. bob_the_tom8to

bob_the_tom8to New commenter

I have been off sick for a couple of weeks but have a plan in place to return with amended duties. I gave a fit note to my headteacher as soon as I could. I have been asked to fill in a form, ask my GP to complete another one and speak with an occupational health worker for the school’s insurance company. The process involves me giving my consent for my medical records to be shared with the insurance company. Can I refuse to consent to this on the grounds of wanting my medical records to remain private? If I refuse to consent, what would happen?

2. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Well they are asking for consent so consent can be refused.

I cannot comment on the consequence of refusal.

HolyMahogany likes this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I've had an occupational health assessment without giving consent for my medical records to be read

HolyMahogany likes this.
  4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Same here

5. thebookyouwish

thebookyouwish New commenter

Had exactly the same thing happen, horrible cold letter and indecent haste. I felt really worried. Union told me not to do it and told the school for me.

I saw OH, they also said that I shouldn’t do it and their report can be used for insurance. Said it sounded like a way of saving money by not making OH referral.

GP didn’t like the sound of it either.

OH didn’t ask for medical records. Not sure whether any of the above is correct but is what I was told/ happened.

I wasn’t bothered what they thought of me by this point though.