1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Sick Room' Cookery

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

...I remember this is what it was called when i did my Girl Guide 'Home Nurse' Badge!
    So, I was in hospital yesterday, under General Anaesthetic for having a tooth out. (Operation went fine - everything done in about 40 minutes....followed by an hour and a half in Recovery as my bood-pressure plummeted when I woke up and they had to get 2 readings at the required level before I could go back to the ward for my cuppa and discharge - the ward then decided to keep for for another 2 hours 'just to check my BP!...Still can't really complain!)
    The hospital trolley had two meals available for those staying overnight...either a greyish looking macaroni cheese (that smelled less than edible - the girl next to me had it)...or steamed fish in an off-white sauce. Now, surely a little colour would be possible? Green Peas? Yellow Sweetcorn? (YUK!) maybe a Red Tomato? And I know there are financial constraints but could the food not be a little more tempting? (I wasn't staying and so was given an indifferent ham sandwich)
    I went home with mum for the night. She fussed in the nicest way. I wasn't that hungry but she gave me warm milk and buttered rich tea biscuits for supper...not 'healthy' but somehow it's traditional 'recovery food' for our family!
    When I went home today she had a bowl of homemade chicken and vegetable soup for my lunch ready packed. And some home made mash for tonight. (might do a quorn sausage to go with it) - "Nice and soft for your sore mouth"she said.
    What are traditional recovery foods for you? Homemade chicken soup is surely a popular choice? And as a child I loved jelly and pears or a milk pud.

And as an aside...I remember a friend doing a catering course and having to cook a three course meal - and every item on her test paper was 'white'...Some sort of creamy white soup, a fish in white sauce with mash, and a milk pudding....I think part of the teast must have been how to cook and serve this to look appetising!

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

...I remember this is what it was called when i did my Girl Guide 'Home Nurse' Badge!
    So, I was in hospital yesterday, under General Anaesthetic for having a tooth out. (Operation went fine - everything done in about 40 minutes....followed by an hour and a half in Recovery as my bood-pressure plummeted when I woke up and they had to get 2 readings at the required level before I could go back to the ward for my cuppa and discharge - the ward then decided to keep for for another 2 hours 'just to check my BP!...Still can't really complain!)
    The hospital trolley had two meals available for those staying overnight...either a greyish looking macaroni cheese (that smelled less than edible - the girl next to me had it)...or steamed fish in an off-white sauce. Now, surely a little colour would be possible? Green Peas? Yellow Sweetcorn? (YUK!) maybe a Red Tomato? And I know there are financial constraints but could the food not be a little more tempting? (I wasn't staying and so was given an indifferent ham sandwich)
    I went home with mum for the night. She fussed in the nicest way. I wasn't that hungry but she gave me warm milk and buttered rich tea biscuits for supper...not 'healthy' but somehow it's traditional 'recovery food' for our family!
    When I went home today she had a bowl of homemade chicken and vegetable soup for my lunch ready packed. And some home made mash for tonight. (might do a quorn sausage to go with it) - "Nice and soft for your sore mouth"she said.
    What are traditional recovery foods for you? Homemade chicken soup is surely a popular choice? And as a child I loved jelly and pears or a milk pud.

And as an aside...I remember a friend doing a catering course and having to cook a three course meal - and every item on her test paper was 'white'...Some sort of creamy white soup, a fish in white sauce with mash, and a milk pudding....I think part of the teast must have been how to cook and serve this to look appetising!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Oh Lord, yes 'Invalid Cookery' was a part of my training. Steamed fish with white sauce, but make it parsley sauce for colour, chicken was the other main item, as were sponge fingers and various jellies and blancmanges.

When I was last in an NHS hospital, the food was appalling. The main reason that it's cooked in a hospital 20 miles away and delivered in a lorry. The food used to be fairly good in my local hospital. However the local private hospital, sandwiches served as a late meal after aGA, neatly made served on a china plate with a garnish of cress. Nice and a fried breakfast the next morning!!

4. Chris4

Chris4 New commenter

Boiled egg and buttered toast or a baked potato with butter for me if I feel off colour, Heinz tomato soup for my OH. He also swears by the restorative powers of Lucozade, but it makes me feel ill.

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

That's interesting, nick! They say your body craves what it needs, so maybe a super hot curry helps to sweat out all those nasty cold bugs.
    Macaroni cheese, scrambled eggs and Heinz cream of tomato soup are my favourite recovery foods post-illness.
    My mum used to make the best macaroni cheese. I've tried, but I just can't make it like she used to... [​IMG]

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

As a child I loved Lucozade! It was only ever bought for invalids. (None of these Sports drink or lo-cal varieties!) ...and it came in a glass bottle wrapped in crinkly cellophane. ....Repackaging in plastic bottles removed all its restorative powers!

Talking to mum, she says that the little local hospital has its own kitchen and makes reasonably decent food. I was at the really big hospital (and can't fault the medical treatment I had!) and they buy in the unappetising food.
    The big hospital does offer a 'premium' service for NHS patients who stay overnight. I could opt for a private room with TV, DVD and Telephone, plus food cooked on the premnises from a special menu.....all for £300 a night. £300!!!!!! Still, at least my treatment would have been for free! (I was much happier going home with mum!)

7. Chris4

Chris4 New commenter

Oh yes, that is the same era as my OH - it was indeed very special to be bought Lucozade.