1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick record

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by geologyrocks, Jan 22, 2011.

1. My question is how threatening is your school when you have time off sick?
    Since starting back in September I have had 3 periods of sickness two with stomach bugs both 1 day off and one were I hurt my neck after a fall, the hospital told me to take 5 days. However I have been put on a cause for concern list and told if I am off again I will have to see occupational health.
    The chance are I will have to be off on Monday as I have now no voice. I went in three days last week with an awful cold and by Friday my voice had gone, this morning it has gone completely. I don't see I will be able to teach (fairly rough school) without a voice.
    Secondly why do SMT use occupational health as a threat, surely OH have better things to do than see people who work in schools and have picked up severally sick bugs?
    So now I am in the situation that I don't know what on earth to do for the best.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    GEO

2. My question is how threatening is your school when you have time off sick?
    Since starting back in September I have had 3 periods of sickness two with stomach bugs both 1 day off and one were I hurt my neck after a fall, the hospital told me to take 5 days. However I have been put on a cause for concern list and told if I am off again I will have to see occupational health.
    The chance are I will have to be off on Monday as I have now no voice. I went in three days last week with an awful cold and by Friday my voice had gone, this morning it has gone completely. I don't see I will be able to teach (fairly rough school) without a voice.
    Secondly why do SMT use occupational health as a threat, surely OH have better things to do than see people who work in schools and have picked up severally sick bugs?
    So now I am in the situation that I don't know what on earth to do for the best.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    GEO

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

One school very. Got an extremely nasty letter the day before I went into hospital and had had several years of 100% attendance prior to becoming ill. New school back to being well again and one member of staff was called in for their absence through HR and the Head's response was 'I hope you are Ok, I told you to go home as you weren't well and don't worry about it.'

When they say they will refer you to OH as a threat, say that would be lovely thank you and make sure your appointment is during school time.
    Get a copy of the absence procedure and take your union with you to any absence related meeting.

4. Lots to answer here!
    Can use it as a threat if they want but in practice, OH is there to support you - they only advise school of what would be required to accomodate your return. It is totally confidential if you want it to be as you have to give permission for a report to school.
    An increasing number of LA's are adopting 'Sickness Procedures' to manage absence following a Labour [remember them, the party of the people?] drive nationally. Details vary but most have a number of triggers - days off, number of absences etc over a 12 month period [usually].
    BUT, if you are ill, self-certify for 5 days. If this is not long enough, go to your GP and get signed off signed off [you'll get a Fit Note, ironically]. A Fit Note means that there is not a thing your employer can do - others disagree elsewhere on these fora but it is a FACT. Policies do not override the law.
    After absence[​IMG] that trigger their policies, schools can ask you to attend a Welfare Meeting and take it up to a more formal level.
    One thing you MUST do is involve your union - have a rep with you at any meeting - they have masses of experience and expertise in these matters.
    I have 2 questions
    1 Why struggle in when you are obviously not well? Only made the situation worse.
    2 Did you fall at school? If so, what have you done about it?

5. Thank you to both of you. I should mention that I have returned after 12 months off mat leave, so I think I am picking everything up. I have been run down since the birth and I had a nasty infection in my c-section scar. I am currently on antidpressants for PND. The school doesn't know any of this. I am managing this and it is not affecting my teaching.
    1) I struggled in for the sake of year 10 and 11, both have exams next week. I also worry aboutthe threat of OH and my career progression.
    2) I didn't fall at school, I slipped on the kitchen floor.
    I did mention the thought of going part time to a deputy head and the respones was ' I will just let you know we have turned a lot of people down for part time, it's too difficult to timetable'
    Thank you again
    GEO

6. It may well be but this is not an acceptable excuse - especially as it would be deemed unreasonable for them not to accomodate your health / return-to-work needs.
    That is precisely why you need a union person with you! Get on to them now.
    Good luck [​IMG]

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

You cannot teach without a voice. If you try, you will cause more damage, and will need longer off. I know this only too well. You can't go to work until you can speak (and I don't mean whisper since that is one of the very worst things that you can do. Get your partner/whoever to call in for you and very clearly state that you are off because you cannot speak.
    Because it makes them look kind and you feel frightened? My HT tried it, and I was terrified. However, OH are there to HELP you. My OH consultant told school to back off and then made it plain that I needed some pretty expensive equipment before I could consider going back to work :)

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Youneed to get union support when speaking to your SMT. I would strongly advise you to inform the school about your real health picture - you will be entitled to time off to recover properly (separate from time off for maternity) and your school will have to put measures in place to help you return whten you are well, including considering part time working if that is appropriate.
    Good luck to you
    Things will get better, but you need time to recover properly first.