1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick Pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DalekTeacher, Mar 17, 2020.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    I am very sorry for asking another question. I always worry about becoming sick and ill, as my family have a big history of the bad disease (I won't say the name of it). I have not had any time from work since being an NQT, and have taught for 13+ years in total.

I read online about the conditions for sick pay and wondered if I would receive a normal salary as normal even during months where I am on big holiday (summer/easter/half-term). It was this bit below that confused me:

No, only the 195 working days are counted. Teachers absent due to sickness continue to receive full or half pay, as appropriate, through weekends, half-term breaks, bank holidays and the Christmas, Easter and Summer breaks; these periods do not count against their sick leave entitlements.
    Thank you,
    Dalekteacher

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You get the sick pay continuously through the weekend and holidays. The bit about how many days are counted is about how long you continue to get full pay or half pay. If you've been teaching a while, you get 100 days full pay, but that's 100 working days plus the weekends/holidays inbetween them.

3. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest with this. I was wondering if this equates to 6 months, as I didn't think 100 days counted for this? As I read on one of the sites it equates to 6 months full pay due to being teaching over 4 + years of service.

I am so sorry to sound stupid, but I worry about being in a mess because of the bad thing.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

There are 195 working days in the year, so 100 working days works out at about 6 months, but it will presumably vary - there would be a big difference between hitting day 99 at the end of the school year in July and hitting day 101.

Piranha likes this.
  5. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

It does vary according to term length - so don't think 6 months.

1. If you qualify for 100 days full pay, 100 days half pay, then that is just over a year of income (as we are contracted for 195 days).
    2. You need to count the days.... ignoring weekends and holidays. Whatever rate of pay you are on when going into a term break, is the salary you receive for the duration of the break.
    3. If your sickness goes beyond 31 March, your new calendar of sickness leave doesn't begin until you have returned to work.
    eg If you have been absent since October 1st, you will drop to half pay before March 31st. If however, you were well enough to return on April 1st and were then absent a bit later, this new absence comes from a new sick year ... ie you count from 0. If you are not well enough, the sick pay continues from the previous entitlement.

Assuming you were under BB of course.
    If it's COVID related, then pay will depend on whether you are ill, self-isolating because of a directive, or self-isolating by choice. As will the record keeping in relation to the absence. Directed self-isolation isn't sick leave!

Rott Weiler likes this.