1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kazza-b, Nov 17, 2019.

1. kazza-b

kazza-b New commenter

im trying to get my head around sick pay, so can anyone clarify for eg if a member was off sick now and was still off for october half term, still within the 100 days entitlement, the five days off wouldnt be counted as sick days is that correct? And what rate of pay would she be paid for this week? This is the bit im confused about, thankyou

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

We can only comment if Burgundy Book conditions apply. If they do, then sick pay during the holiday is at the rate pertaining at the start of the holiday, and the holiday does not count towards sick pay entitlements. So if she had not exhausted her time at full pay, half term would also be on full pay. The 100 days is only relevant for people who have worked during at least four sick pay years, which are April to March. I suggest that you download and read the Burgundy Book. There are a lot of complexities which may apply depending on circumstances.

If such conditions don't apply, then it will depend on sick pay policy at the school.

3. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Saturday and Sundays also do not count towards the 100 days. If you are in a Union and are unsure ofyour sick pay entitlement, then you could ring them up. A nice LEA Pay Roll Department will also tell you when you will go into half pay.

4. kazza-b

kazza-b New commenter

Burgundy book conditions do apply i have looked at this but find it a little confusing, if a member went off 27th march would you only count from 1st april for the new year or include these days also

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The Burgundy Book is clear on this, and the answer is "neither" - it counts as part of the previous year. So any time taken off sick during the previous year would be added to the time taken for the latest illness. The clock resets on return to work.

4.1 For the purpose of calculating a teacher’s entitlement during a year under paragraph 2, a year is deemed to begin on 1st April and end on 31st March of the following year. Where a teacher starts service after 1st April in any year, the full entitlement for that year will be applicable. Where a teacher is on sick leave on 31st March in any year, no new entitlements shall begin until the teacher has resumed duty and the period from April 1st until the return to duty is regarded as part of the preceding year’s entitlement for the purpose of this scheme.

6. kazza-b

kazza-b New commenter

Thankyou i think im digesting this now so if they return in september then go back off again in october would that carry on or start again classed as this years entitlement? Its all the same sickess

7. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

it would continue as the same entitlement.
    if you were off sick in Feb, retuned and were at work in April, and then were off sick in May, that would be a different year

strawbs likes this.
  8. kazza-b

kazza-b New commenter

So if this member went off in march, returned september, then went in october am i right in thinking the march to sept one is taken from last years sick entitlement and the one in october is part of her new entitlement therefore should be back to full pay? Am i getting this or not

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

That is how I would read it, but I have no experience of this. I suspect that some schools would try to interpret it differently. Really, your friend needs union support. The Burgundy Book looks clear to me, but there is nothing I, or anybody else on this forum, can do to make the school follow what we believe to be true.

10. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

If you are absent in March and still absent in April then the April absence is in last years entitlement - correct.

If the absence in October is for exactly the same reason, it suggests the phased return didn’t work. Assuming there was a phased return of course? I would have expected OH involvement before a return to work after an absence of the length you describe. Technically it would be new sick leave but best to check with union regional level