1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick pay

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Cloudpixie, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudpixie

Cloudpixie New commenter

hi there

I am sat here wondering if other teachers have been paid yet. My school have threatened not to pay me despite the fact I am on sick leave and have a doctors note dated from 2nd September to 30th September. I’m sick with worry as on top of recovering from an illness I have direct debits to pay within the next week and without my pay I have no way of paying them. This is not helping me recover. My union have said the school legally have to pay me for 75 working days as I have over two years service. Am I stressing about nothing? Will the pay enter my account sometime this morning? I literally can’t sleep. What happens next if school have withheld my pay? Do I take them to court? Not sure I can handle this additional stress right now. Any advice would be appreciated. X

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You'll be paid! The union is right.

tall tales likes this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

look at your contract. our school doesn't pay your wages if you are off sick, it does pay statutory sick pay

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Any problems go straight to union to take it up on your behalf. That's what you pay your union subscription for!

FrankWolley likes this.
  5. Cloudpixie

Cloudpixie New commenter

Thank you for your input and feedback. It’s now 6.27am and the money has still not entered my account which means the school have withheld my pay. I am shocked and saddened by this and will contact my union this morning to see where I go from here. I feel in a calmer place right now to deal with this, I nearly had a panic attach last night but am okay now. X

tall tales and agathamorse like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

Jeez. What kind of contract are you on? I'm so sorry. Clearly not governed by STPCD. Must be some kind of shyster academy. Union.

agathamorse and tall tales like this.
  7. Cloudpixie

Cloudpixie New commenter

I’m on a permanent contract at an lea school. I will recontact my union this morning and see what to do next. Thank you for your support x

FrankWolley likes this.
  8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Other possible things to do:
    Talk to your union about immediate financial problem. Do they have any funds that can help? Any suggestions? Make sure they are aware that you do not have the cashflow to cope with waiting for the payment.
    Talk to your bank - could you have a temporary overdraft? Would it help with that if your union can confirm that they are on the case?
    If you have a mortgage, investigate whether you are able to have a temporary payment holiday.

Hopefully the union can get things fixed in the next day or so, but the other steps might ease the worry.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Has your school given a reason not to pay you? On the face of it, if you are a teacher employed under Burgundy Book conditions (as used by LEA schools) and you have worked in such schools during at least three sick pay years (April - March) then you should get 75 days on full pay this year. If this is the case, then the school could only not pay you if you have used up your entitlement already this year (although even then you would be on half pay) or you have not followed the rules about keeping the school in touch and sending in your doctor's note. I am assuming that you have not been off sick continuously since before April, which would change things.

10. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Contact the LA payroll.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. Cloudpixie

Cloudpixie New commenter

The school haven’t even spoken to me. They’ve taken my name off the school website without even having a meeting with me. I’m incredulous. I’ve relayed all this information to my union rep who will contact the school on my behalf to find out what is going on. Meanwhile, I’ve been back to the doctor who has signed me off for another month. Clearly I need time to recover - so that’s two months pay that I need now. Piranha - in answer to your question, since I have been with the school I have had 2 days off for flu. That is all. This is the first long term sick leave I have ever had in any employment over the course of my life.

12. grumpydogwoman

Read what @Piranha said.

This is completely out of order from the sound of it!

13. Cloudpixie

Cloudpixie New commenter

Thank you for the kind advice, I am in constant communication with the union and when I get to the end if my overdraft I don’t know what I will do. Phoning citizens advice now for more advice x

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Make sure your Union are all over this totally unacceptable (& on the face of it, illegal) behaviour. It seems to me (I'm not a lawyer) that the school have broken the contract they have with you...I'd be asking the Union about suing the school for damages, incl. a sum for stress & worry...

Piranha and agathamorse like this.
  15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry, I am confused. You said they had threatened not to pay, but you later said they had not even spoken to you. They must have communicated their threat somehow. Was there no reason given? Or was there something else going on that we don't know about? The only reason I can see would be if your employment was terminated before the start of September, but you surely would know about that. But taking your name off the school website could be a clue that they have decided you have left. By the way, have you been employed there for at least two years? That would give you greater employment protection.

I really can't understand how the school could even consider doing this on the facts we have so far.

sbkrobson, grumpydogwoman and Pomza like this.
  16. Flippas

Flippas New commenter

The NEU has a hardship fund for members who are having pay withheld illegally. I believe that the application form is complicated and that you do not receive copious funds when you have completed the process but every little helps when you are desperate. I presume other unions have something similar. If I were you, I would ring to ask whether you might be entitled to something.

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

This is the bit I really don't get.
    When does somebody do this?
    "Well I'm not going to pay you."
    The only time I can think of somebody using these words is when you present a circumstance to them, or they become aware of one, and that is their response. Nobody would contact you and say this statement in isolation,unprompted.
    So what prompted them to say it?

Or perhaps they said it to somebody else and you heard of it?

You also say that you've had no communication from them for a while,and opened the thread not knowing if you would be paid end of September. Therefore you seem to have been paid end of August. Therefore something must have happened between then and now to make them say what they did.

This bit
    Does not mean anything in itself. If you were on the website then parents can try to email you and would get no response, at the very least not before October. For a school that represents poor communication and poor parental relations. If you have said you will not be there for a whole month, then they will have somebody in your place,probably. And that person may be fielding all the communication you would have received.

You cannot have it both ways-tell the school you will be absent long term,and then expect to have a presence on their website which could lead to confusion as I described. In fact, if you are off unwell you don't need to look at the school website at all.
    Why would you be on there whilst ill seeking out your name?

Either this,or the school feel you have done something wrong, in which case presumably you will hear about it. It's not something you have shared here if so.

I'm sorry my post lacks sympathy-I just think that you have woven a lot of very subtle ambiguity into your opening post,especially on re reading it carefully.
    Maybe that was not intentional.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  18. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Why would you be paid today? Most LEAs pay on the last working day of the month, which isn't until Monday.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  19. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

This thread has been locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.