1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by skye78, Apr 26, 2019.

1. skye78

skye78 New commenter

Hello, sorry to ask about this and thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

I decided to end my most recent contract due to health issues, giving a month's notice as required to do so.

My contract states no sick pay is applicable at any point, so I contacted the workplace asking if I would be paid for the days I worked whilst mentioning the fact I realise I would not receive any sick pay.

They replied stating I would be paid for the days worked along with my April wages in my final payslip.

I have just received this and it is full wages for the month. I have now left this workplace and despite me sending letters, emails and leaving voicemails asking for confirmation of my resignation, all have been ignored other than an email from an office member wishing me all the best which was proof of receipt of my correspondence.

I'm guessing they have paid me sick pay after all, but wondered what you would do in my situation. All correspondence goes ignored and I have proof of me asking about sick pay repeatedly, along with the one reply saying all would be paid in April, which was very abrupt and vague.

Have I done everything I need to?

Sorry for the rambling message! Thank you again.

2. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Sick pay is a statutory requirement so no matter what it says in your contract the law insists it is paid, so long as you qualify. Have a look here: https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay .

I wouldn't worry about it any more, they cannot suddenly take it back out of your account so the worst that can happen is that they will ask you for it back.

skye78 likes this.
  3. skye78

skye78 New commenter

Thank you very much for your reply diddydave - much appreciated. I do qualify for SSP so they must have decided to pay my final wage in full. Thank you again!

4. skye78

skye78 New commenter

Well it is payday and I've still got the payslip, but no wages in my bank. They continue to ignore my correspondence also so I'm stuck big time. Weeks now without being paid for work I did. Why is it always so complicated?!