1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sick pay

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rooney1, Nov 22, 2018.

1. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

A quick question - hoping someone will know the answer.

If you started teaching at a school in September - how long would you have to be there to qualify for sick pay?

Thank you

2. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

The answer to your question is less about how long you’ve been at the school and more to do with how long you’ve been teaching as it’s aggregate, not continuous, service that counts.

Unless it’s an independent school, then they can have a totally different policy that hinges on your service with them.

I’d suggest reading the link below:
    https://www.atl.org.uk/Images/ADV02 Sick leave and pay (Jan 2013).pdf

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

However, if you work for an academy, free school or independent, you may not be under burgundy books conditions of service.

What does your school's absence policy, or similar, say?

4. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

It's not me - it's for a friend - but it could be important. Thank you.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass Occasional commenter

I am wondering the same .......after 23 years service I left a permanent role and took 12 months on supply (although Jan to July was in the same school I am now permanently employed in!)

I have been informed that my sickness will re-set to the basic qualifying period of 25 days full and 25 days half pay (previously 100 days full 1oo day half pay) just because I left a 'difficult school' to save my own sanity

Seems tad unfair. However, I see this as a small price to pay, as I am back enjoying my teaching but I would like to know this is the correct decision ..... anyone help to clarify?

agathamorse likes this.
  6. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

No, it’s wrong. Sick pay is based on aggregate teaching service not continuous. The finer details are available on most union websites but the jist of it is:
    Teachers’ national sick pay entitlements, set out in the Burgundy Book, give a sliding scale entitlement according to length of service, as follows:

During the first year of service:
    Full pay for 25 working days and, after completing four calendar months’ service, half pay for 75 working days.

During the second year of service:
    Full pay for 50 working days and half pay for 50 working days.

During the third year of service:
    Full pay for 75 working days and half pay for 75 working days.

During the fourth and successive years of service:
    Full pay for 100 working days and half pay for 100 working days.
    Full pay for 100 working days and half pay for 100 working days.

Where you’re working now, however, does matter. Academy? Free school? Independent? LA? One of the latter that adheres to the burgundy book?

agathamorse likes this.
  7. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass Occasional commenter

I thought as much. Academy that runs according to the burgundy book from what i can see. So i should be entitled to full pay for 100 days then 100 days half pay, regardless of a break in service

I will query with my union just to be sure and clear up any misinterpretation myself. Cheers Curlcurlcurl

agathamorse and curlcurlcurl like this.