1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sick pay

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by alabaster, Oct 13, 2018.

1. alabaster

alabaster New commenter

I am hoping I am not going to off long enough to need to know this but in the STPCD it says 'full pay for 100 working days and half pay for 100 working days' and '“working days” means teaching and nonteaching days within “directed time”, as specified under paragraph 40 of the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document'

Does that mean just week days and term time days or does it include holiday periods and/or weekends? I am thinking not weekends but am a bit wooly about whether it means for example, the days during half term (I will be signed off during this half term).

Thanks

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Do weekends and holidays count against the Burgundy Book sick pay scheme?

No. A teacher in accordance with the School teachers’ pay and conditions document must be available for work for 195 days and, therefore, it is those working days for which the teacher is absent that count towards this entitlement.

Teachers absent due to sickness continue to receive ull or half pay, as appropriate, through weekends, bank holidays and school holidays. However, these breaks do not count against their sick leave entitlements.

https://www.atl.org.uk/Images/ADV02 Sick leave and pay (Jan 2013).pdf

3. alabaster

alabaster New commenter

brilliant thanks. I am hoping it won't get that long. To cut a long story short, I have suffered a bereavement, was off for a month, went back, but wasn't exaactly supported and am now signed off again. I am worried about how this is all going to pan out, but my friends are, quite rightly, telling me to get myself better properly first and not worry about school. I never thought I would still be feeling so despondant so I have no idea how long it is going to take me to get through this

agathamorse likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Think about whether you'll need support to ease yourself back in.

Assuming you get a back-to-work interview? Don't be shy about it. Mention what went wrong last time and how you think you can best slot back in.

Fluffy_Koala likes this.
  5. alabaster

alabaster New commenter

thanks - when I do get back I will tell them exactly what went wrong. Maybe I wasn't really ready, I am obviously not over the bereavement but my treatment by management was terrible, with a bit of warmth and understanding I would have made it through ok without being reduced to tears.

THanks

henrypm0 likes this.