1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Sick pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Lilybett, Jan 26, 2012.

  1. Hey. Well, I always get a wage slip a few days before the pay appears. Like when you think 'Why am I in such a bad mood?' and you realise it's PMT! So have you had that?
    I'm not trying to alarm you, just warning you to keep a beady eye on what's going on with your pay. I'm also NQT, started 31/10/11 and broken ankle means I am signed off for this whole half-term. The NUT website says I'm entitled to 25 days' pay, but I have received £479 (instead of the princely sum of £1799). So urrr. That is NOT 25 days' pay! I don't know what to do except panic and cry, but I've created a thread begging someone to tell me what to do! So if you feel like you're being dicked around, too, hopefully some kind person will leave some advice in my thread that will help you.
    I am SO upset and mad this morning! You work your **** off for peanuts. Then you get ill or injured and get little more than JSA. What a kick in the face. Wow yeah I feel really valued and respected here. I haven't smoked for two weeks but I'm off for a cigarette now! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Hey. Further to the over-emotional rant above, I called my LA and they admitted the mistake straight away and are sorting it so that the extra money I should get will arrive in my account tomorrow, a few hours after the measly amount set out on my payslip. Very suprised and pleased with how easily this was corrected!
    SO, I would say again: you need a wage slip. When is your LA's teacher payday? (Look in your contract if you are unsure.) As long as you are a contracted teacher (not working through a supply agency), you are entitled to 25 days' pay in your first 4 months of service. If you're worrying, call your LA's payroll dept. and just say you haven't had a payslip so are a bit concerned. I think it will be fine, though x
    PS: kind of regret that cigarette now!
  3. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    During the first year of service, you get full pay for 25 working days and, after completing 4 calendar months' service, half pay for 50 working days.
    During the 2nd year of service, full pay for 50 working days and half pay for 50 working days.
    3rd year of service- Full pay for 75 working days and half pay for 75 working days.
    4th year of service and successive years - full pay for 1-- working days and half pay for 100 working days.
    Those are the minimum payment periods and local authorities have the discretion to extend it in individual cases. i expect they would do so if the illness was contratced at work or an accident at work caused the injury.
    Only working days missed are counted against the sliding scale above.
    Broadly speaking, in the first year you continue on full pay for 1.5 months and, after 4 months in post, half pay for 3 months.
    2nd year, full pay for 3 months; half pay for 3 mont5hs.
    3rd year, full pay for 4.5 months; half pay for 4.5 months.
    4th year + - full pay for 6 months; half pay for 6 months.
    Sick leave year runs from 1st April to 31st March. A new entitlement starts each year on 1st April unless you are absent from work on 31st March, in which case you need a return to work before the new sick year allowance can be triggered.
    NQTs who started in earlier in this school year will be in Yr 2 for sick pay from 1st April 2012.
  4. modgepodge

    modgepodge Established commenter

    Thanks for the info. Sounds like I should get paid for today then. As I said, if I didn't it wouldn't be the end of the world (my situation is no where near as bad as yours Lilybett!!) as it's just one day, but still, £100 (or however much it is) is £100 and after 6 months of unemployment I need it!! Found out yday that I've been put on emergency tax and can't claim it back til April which sucks. ]
    Think payday is last day of the month. Haven't had a payslip yet but had a chat to the bursar yesterday and he said my pay has been processed so I guess I'll get one soon.
  5. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    If you've been unemployed before starting this job, you'll have aP45 from the Jobcentre a should submit it to your employer to get the correct tax code a.s.a.p.
    If you weren't claiming JSA and had no other job from 6th April 2011 and starting this teaching job, you should have completed a P46, supplied by your employer/LA, stating that this is your first job. You would then get your correct tax code.
    You should also be contacting the Inland revenue (send a letter with your NI number) telling them that you have paid £36-50 to the GTC.
    If you are in a Union and payingt subs, claim tax relief on them too. You can offset 2/3rds of NUT fees, 9/10ths of ATL fees. You need to ask other Unions what fraction is tax deductible. Tell the tax people what you pay and what fraction is eligible and you won't pay tax on that amount of earnings. You'll pay £7-30 less in t6ax on the GTC fee alone.
    If you have to teach PE at any point in your work, claim a Uniform allowance of £60 per year to cover the laundry, replacement and repair of kit. That will save you £12 a year in tax.
    BR tax means that you are paying a minimum of £120 per month too much in tax as you are not getting the monthly tax-free allowance of over £600, paying tax at 20% on that amount instead.
    If you've had no other earnings and only started work in this tax year in January, you will probably not even owe tax as you need to be earning over £7475 in the tax year to trigger taxation. In that case, you would be due back all the tax deducted.
  6. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    No, it doesn't.
    BR tax means that all your pay is taxed at 20% because you may have another job where that employer is applying your tax code and giving you that month's tax free allowance. Until they find out differently (through you completing a P46 to say that this is your only job of the tax year) or, if applicable, hand in the P45 from your last employer, they will tax everything that you earn.
    When they get the correct information, you will receive a tax code at your current employment and will get back any overpaid tax.

Share This Page