1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick Pay Query

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DalekTeacher, Sep 2, 2020.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    I hope you don't mind me posting to ask for advice on this.
    As the COVID-19 is still on-going, I was wondering as I have accumulated over four years worth of service, if I was to end up having COVID (I really hope not), would I still receive full pay? I have never had an absence in the thirteen years of teaching, so I wanted to see where I stand.

Also, if I am ill again in the future, would I still have a new entitlement to the four years of service entitlement, if it is after the 1st April?

Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

You are entitled to full pay during sick leave though the amount varies with length of service with your employer. If you have 4+ years service with tour current employer you are entitled to 100 days full pay and 100 days half pay.

If you are ill for long enough to use up your allowance for full pay but return to work successfully then your entitlement would rese.t.

This does also depend on your specific contract - if you are employed under STRB then the above is correct - Academies and Independent schools may have different terms of service

3. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

Reminder weekends and holidays do not count towards 100 days.

4. DalekTeacher

Hi, thank you so much for this. Could I also ask what does this mean about weekends and holidays not counting towards 100 days?

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

You count only the days when you would have been at work. If you are off during a holiday period, the rate of pay stays the same as what it was at the start of the holiday. So, for example, if you have used up 90 days of your full pay allowance when the summer holiday starts, you would get full pay for the whole summer and for the first two weeks of the next term. Of course, i am assuming Burgundy Book conditions - do these apply to you? They will if you are in an LA school and might in an academy.

As a word of advice, it is not really a good idea to get yourself worried about what might happen. Even if you were to get Covid, it might just be a couple of weeks off.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What Piranha says, the full pay entitlement would be to 100 school days, ie you only count the the 195 days teachers have to work under STPCD.

That's the rule if you work under 'Burgundy Book' employment conditions [the national 'Conditions of Service for School Teachers']. Other employment conditions may be different

upload_2020-9-3_20-3-14.png

7. DalekTeacher

Thank you for the help and advice with this. I massively worry and has helped so much.

8. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Does the Burgundy Book have separate rules for notifiable diseases? The SNCT agreements here do and you're entitled to full pay while off with them (this includes covid), and it doesn't count against any sickness allowance.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It does [Section 4, paragraph 10 on page 11] but it would apply only if a medical practitioner confirmed there was a "reasonable probability" you caught it at school ("contracted directly in the course of the teacher's employment").

The provision wasn't written with a national pandemic in mind and it's hard to see how a GP could state that in their professional opinion C19 was caught in school when it is rampaging through the general community. I doubt that in practice the clause will be of much use to teachers in England.

Although the expression "reasonable probability" is so vague it could mean almost anything!

upload_2020-9-12_10-53-40.png

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I have no idea what the evidence would need to be, but if the teacher had spent a significant length of time with one or more students who were diagnosed with Covid, then it does seem likely that this is where they caught it. Getting a doctor to say so might be tricky, but worth a try.