1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sick pay during school closure

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by wilty, Mar 25, 2020.

1. wilty

wilty New commenter

Evening,

I have been on long term sick due to work related stess before the govt announced schools are closed to everyone apart from key workers etc. It is a local authority school covered by the burgundy book. I am still off during the school closure. Will these days off sick during school closure be counted against my entitled sick leave?

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Yes. The only sickness that won't count against you is Covid-19 related sickness.
    Normal absence management policies and procedures apply for existing issues.

agathamorse and HolyMahogany like this.
  3. wilty

wilty New commenter

for exist
    but the school closure was statutory and schools have only been asked to reopen due to the national emergency, hence the burgundy book applies?

4. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Senior commenter

Your school may have closed but, I assume that staff are providing work on line work from home and are going in on a rota basis. Schools have closed to pupils and staff, well most of them, but this is not a holiday. Are you prepared to return to work tomorrow on those terms and conditions.
    If you had foreseen this and had returned to work last week you would probably now be covered by the statutory closure. You are on sick leave, your colleagues are not.

5. wilty

wilty New commenter

I have just checked out your previous posts and it appears your advice is often not well founded in facts but relies on emotive language quite often. The schools are closed from a statutory point of view which is confirmed by the NEU's guidance. Staff have been ASKED to help.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

As both the other posters have said, your sick leave will continue as if school was open.
    You could return to work, if your GP decides you are well enough, and be preparing lessons for digital learning and taking your turn on the rota for supervising children of key workers.
    We are expected to work a full day and certainly have enough work to do so. This is reasonable as we are being paid to do so.,

Some schools have asked for volunteers to supervise children. Some have made a rota of all staff who can go in. Some schools have compelled all staff to be in all the time. Some have compelled staff to get involved in cleaning. Some are asking those working at home to account for their hours.
    As you are off with WRS, I'm assuming your school isn't one of the more reasonable ones. Think carefully before you decide to return to work in these weird times.

For the record, I think you are being unfair on @HolyMahogany who is someone who posts sensible and knowledgeable posts. Certainly theirs is a username that inspires trust rather than derision.

7. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Senior commenter

The problem with your post is it raises a suspicion about your motives. You are on long term sick leave due to WRS. I am not unsympathetic to this as I have also suffered from WRS in the past. What is the outcome you want from this? Are you hoping that your sick leave will be suspended for the duration of the emergency, that you will receive full pay during this time, without having to do any work for it and then , what? When schools go back to work you will either go back to work or resume your sick leave?
    At the risk of sounding emotive, wouldn't we all like to have our cake and eat it.
    At present the schools may be shut but the staff are not on holiday or sick leave. The expectation is that people will work from home, schools are also open to some pupils and different schools are operating different systems for covering this, some with compulsory rotas and some voluntary.
    If you genuinely want to help your school in this crises, then contact them and tell them that you are fit for work. If not, you have your sick pay and I hope you recover soon.

agathamorse and IanG like this.
  8. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

Just because you don't agree with advice doesn't mean you should throw your toys out of your pram.

Yes, these days will be countered against your entitles sick leave.

Totally agree.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Your colleagues are fit for work , and in a position to set online work and come in on a rota to look after the children of key workers. Their situation is not the same as yours so of course the terms of your sick leave will continue.

10. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I've had several inboxes pertaining to this essence of question:

If you have a sickness related certificate, regardless of 'school closures', which is for the most part, for the majority of teachers, only a physical thing, you are still presumably 'sick'. Your status as 'off sick' for whatever presiding medical reason remains the same.

Rest and recover ready for when schools reopen and engage with the chaos of reestablishing things.

agathamorse and HolyMahogany like this.
  11. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Wilty, are you well enough to return to work? If you are then you should return. If you are not well enough then stay home.

strawbs, agathamorse and HolyMahogany like this.
  12. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Meant to add, if you stay off sick it will be counted against your entitled sick leave.

HolyMahogany likes this.
  13. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

So would the OP still have to send in sick notes?

14. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

yes

15. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

"entitled sick leave" doesn't sound quite right at the moment. I wouldn't be going looking for an argument on that front now.