1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick pay confusion

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Charloo, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Charloo

Charloo New commenter

Hi everyone,

Hope your all well,

I just wondered if you might be able to help me.

I’ve been teaching for 6 years in my current LA. I’m entitled to the 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay.

I’ve been off work since the the 31st October after a road accident and returning after Easter. Does anyone know when the full pay runs out and half pay begins?

I know I don’t include the weekends, 2 week Christmas holiday or February half term. I believe it runs out at the end of April but I’m not sure.

Many thanks

2. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Assuming this is a 100 days ,that is 20 working weeks. You can play about with a diary to find the answer. If you work for an LA then the salaries/finance dept. will be quite to tell when you go on to half pay. Make sure you are 100% fit before you start back.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

According to the Burgundy Book, it is 100 days, not six months. Given that the working year is 195 days, that equates to approximately six months including holidays. Exactly how long it is depends on the timing of holidays; it could be more or it could be less. Assuming you are full time, it only includes the days you would have been at school. To get a precise answer, you could tick them off on a calendar.

If you are off sick during the holiday, you get pay at whatever rate you were on at the start of the holiday. I would think that you won't have used up your 100 days by the start of the Easter holiday, so if you return after that, you will be on full pay throughout. But do check your own situation - it is not difficult. Should the 100 days run out just before the holiday, you might want to decide if you can return to work for a day or two then, so you don't lose half your pay for the holiday.

4. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

I had similar time off as you and due to length of terms etc I had a grand total of 3 days at half pay.
    Something to be mindful of and the HR will tell you this, I went back on a phased return. It was to start with literally due to why I was off, some weeks just an hour a day, or a couple of hours and this was on full pay.
    As others have said though make sure you are 100% well as health comes first