1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sick pay, confused??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by vikingmaid, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Having moved within county fron a HOD job, to an academy, I have been unwell and signed off for past 5 weeks, due to return next week. I have just recieved my pay slip with half pay. Having taught for 20 years with very little time off I'm devastated, not to mention the real hardship it will cause my family and I as money was on of the factors that contributed to the stress I have been under?
    Does it seem reasonable to be put on half pay so soon?

2. Having moved within county fron a HOD job, to an academy, I have been unwell and signed off for past 5 weeks, due to return next week. I have just recieved my pay slip with half pay. Having taught for 20 years with very little time off I'm devastated, not to mention the real hardship it will cause my family and I as money was on of the factors that contributed to the stress I have been under?
    Does it seem reasonable to be put on half pay so soon?

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I don't think whether it's reasonable is significant here.
    Is it in line with the policy of the employer is the only question that is relevant, I'm afraid. And if your chain of academies has chosen such strict rules, then you presumably had an opportunity to agree to them or otherwise on taking the job.

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Sorry, but it is just yet another example of the different tp&c in an academy.
    Ask to see all the documentation relating to tp&c in future before taking a job.
    Trust no one.
    Trouble is majority of secondaries are now academies so how long before promaries catch up?
    All part of the great Gove plan.