1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick pay and summer holiday

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jasmin258, Jul 11, 2018.

1. jasmin258

jasmin258 New commenter

Evening,

I have been signed off for over 4 weeks now and are currently receiving SSP. My current sick note expires on the last day of term. My sick note says 'I will not need to assess your fitness for work again at the end of this period".

My employer has said they will not pay me over the summer holidays unless I get a 'fit for work' note from my doctor. I have called the drs and they have said they don't do 'fit for work' notes and that the sick note is only valid up until the day it runs out.

I have seen the OHT and he has said I am not fit for work. I dont know yet what his report will be but he said he is not likely to re assess me now until after the summer holiday.

If my dr has said on my sick note that I am signed off until the last day of term and will not need to assess me again, surely that means I should get paid for the holidays as I am no longer sending them sick notes???

It is really stressing me out on top of the condition that I have been diagnosed with.

How do I go about this, ensuring I do get paid over the holidays?

Thank you.

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Have you contacted your union, (regional office) ? They should be able to advise you..

mm71, ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  3. Kelloggs

Kelloggs New commenter

Are you returning to work in September?