1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick pay and pensions

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by PeterQuint, Oct 30, 2017.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Most (all?) of us have sick pay entitlement if 6 months on full pay followed by 6 months on half pay.

If you go into the second 6, do your pension contributions only count as half?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

As superannuation is a %, I suppose so, yes.

3. welshskyline

welshskyline New commenter

4. welshskyline

welshskyline New commenter

And don't forget that, whilst on sick leave, people also (laughably) accrue holiday entitlement. I have personally known two people who certainly knew how to work the system. They had their "year off" (both being what you might call "barrackroom lawyers), returned to work and then gleefully told their colleagues that they would then be going "on their hols"........

PeterQuint and GLsghost like this.
  5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

That's EU law for you . Thank Sr Pereda.

I know how to work 'the system' as you call it, too. (I call it 'the law', but then I'm just picky.)

You continue to accrue entitlement to annual leave while you are on sick leave and maternity leave.

PeterQuint likes this.
  6. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Thanks for that. I certainly wasn't expecting it to be the case. I suspected your 6 months on half pay would have counted as 3 months' employment.