1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick pay and holidays

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Honey Loop, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Hi all, I'm looking for some info and google isn't being veryhelpful.
    I'm on the waiting list for a new hip (hooray!) and it's looking likely that June will be the eventual date of the op. The consultant said I'm looking at a 12 week recovery period, which will take me into the 6 week holiday period.
    As I've worked for 3 years, I'm entitled to 75 days at full and the same amount at half pay.
    What I can't work out is, as I'll be recovering into the holiday time, am I still considered 'sick' or will the 'sick' part stop at the start of the holidays?
    and if it doesn't, how do I provide sick notes?

Hopefully that makes sense to someone and I'll be able to put my mind at ease

2. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Hi all, I'm looking for some info and google isn't being veryhelpful.
    I'm on the waiting list for a new hip (hooray!) and it's looking likely that June will be the eventual date of the op. The consultant said I'm looking at a 12 week recovery period, which will take me into the 6 week holiday period.
    As I've worked for 3 years, I'm entitled to 75 days at full and the same amount at half pay.
    What I can't work out is, as I'll be recovering into the holiday time, am I still considered 'sick' or will the 'sick' part stop at the start of the holidays?
    and if it doesn't, how do I provide sick notes?

Hopefully that makes sense to someone and I'll be able to put my mind at ease

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Nor sure honey but i think you might find that the sick leave starts as soon as your off.Holidays are awarded but you are paid pro rata for all weeks and so sickness leave starts and finishes when your ready for work.
    I see your point about the holiday as if your well in the hols you want to go back on om to full pay again ..not use up your half pay allowance. How wpuld you contact the school and say your ready to return?Have you contacted the school or theLA?
    Im sure some one will be along soon with a better answer

4. Could you not ask the doctor to sign you off only until say last day of term or a few days after? That way you should technically resort back to full pay for the rest of the holidays?

5. I had this 2 years ago and rang NUT and got the official document. Sick days are only counted Mon-Fri during term time. They can not include weekends and holidays. I too was off for the full summer and got paid full pay with no sick days taken off me. Some schools may try to manipulate rules but your union will have the official guidance document they can send you

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

As far as I am aware, you will still be "sick" during the holidays so will need to continue to provide sick notes-even if there is no-one in school to provide them to! But the days you are sick during the holidays don't count towards the 75 days ( neither do weekends, it is 75 WORKING days) so 75 days sick works out at around 15 school weeks on full pay.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You will need to send in sick notes for the summer holiday if you and your GP regard you as still not fit for work. If you manage a great recovery and feel that you would be able to go into work were it term-time, get your GP to sign you back as fit for work and you will use up no more of your sick days.
    Your 75 days of full pay are 75 term-time school days. You don't tally up the weekends or the holiday period weekdays.
    Someone on the full 100 days of full pay and 100 days of half pay will effectively be paid full salary for 6 months nad half salary for 6 months.
    You may be in your 3rd year of teaching but the sick leave allocation runs from April, so you should now be in the 4th period of employment foir sick pay purposes which is the 100 day schedule.
    "However, those who who are absent due to illness on 31st March will not be entitled to the subsequent year's allowance until they are recovered and are back at work Instaed, sick leave will continue to be counted against the previous year's entitlement". That's from the official guidelines. You keep using up the previous sick year entitlement if your illness straddles the 31st March and may then run into a no-pay period.
    The above is why teachers may 'play the system' and get signed back to work so that their relapse will fall on 1st April or soon afterwards and a new allocation of full pay /half pay will ensue.
    Check out the ATLs explanation at
    http://www.atl.org.uk/Images/ADV2%20Sick%20leave%20and%20pay.pdf

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you were about to go on half pay or no pay in the summer holidays, you would do as MATERNITY lEAVE TEACHERS DO AND 'RETURN' TO WORK ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE HOLIDAYS (WITH A gp NOTE IN THE CASE OF SICK LEAVE CANDIDATES).
    You, however, would still be on full pay in September and are more likely to just be on sick leave into the Autumn term, with no financial detriment to you.

9. You need to check the LEA/School/College policy. It can complicate things if you are off sick on both the last day of term and the first day of the new term.