1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick pay: 100 days - including holidays or not?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by missrieen, Aug 27, 2019.

1. missrieen

missrieen New commenter

Hello,
    I have read old threads on this and the union info and Burgundy book guidance, but I feel I need to clarify in layman's terms! If anyone can help I'd be most grateful.
    I am currently off sick after having radiotherapy. I am awaiting results etc and the 100 day sick pay is playing on my mind.
    I am currently being paid full pay - if I don't go back for the new term do the summer holidays count towards my 100 days? I thought it did but after some reading, I now think they don't?
    Did the counted days pause at the end of summer term and start again at the beginning of Autumn term?
    Any advice appreciated. I am quite overwhelmed at the moment and having to make big work decisions when I am not 100% on my health is tough.
    Thank you x

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

My 100 days of sick pay were based only on days that I would have worked. Weekends, half terms, etc, were not included. Your calculations would have paused in July and will start again on the first day of term in September. 100 days at half-pay will commence once you reach your 100 days full-pay allocation.

I'm sorry to hear about your ill health, and hope you soon feel better. If you are the member of a union you may receive some supportive advice from one of the team. Take care of yourself. xx

strawbs likes this.
  3. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Please contact your Union at your local Regional centre. You should inform them of your current circumstances. They will be able to help yo with regarding any sickness meetings or other other problems caused by your absence from work.

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

AS @rosievoice says, burgundy book section 2.1: "During fourth and subsequent years.... full pay for 100 working days and half pay for 100 working days" My bold on working days.
    And
    "The rate of sick pay applicable to a teacher in respect of sickness during the closure of a school is the rate applicable to him/her on the last day before the closure. Where a teacher, therefore, is ill immediately preceding a closure period and he/she is on full sick pay - he/she shall continue on full sick pay, but the closure period is not counted against his/her entitlement under 2.1 above;"

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, the passage @strawbs quotes is perfectly clear. Only working days are counted towards your entitlement. Schools also have discretion to pay you for longer, which would be the kind thing to do in your circumstances, but I don't know if this happens in practise.