1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick on the carpet - help!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Coffeebean102, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am just getting over a bout of gastroenteritis. I woke up this morning feeling really really hungry (first time in days!) and enjoyed a fairly large breakfast consisting of two slices of toast, a bowl of cereal and coffee. However, not that long after, I was sitting on the sofa and suddenly felt really nauseous. While getting up to run to the bathroom, I projectile vomited onto my living room carpet. I think it was caused by eating too much too quickly and my stomach getting a bit of a shock from all the food. Am annoyed with myself but I was just so happy to wake up with my appetite back. Thankfully I dont feel too bad now, just a bit shaky.

My question is, what is the best way of getting sick out of a carpet? I don't have any kids so not used to this sort of thing! I have tried a cheap carpet shampoo but it doesn't seem to be doing a very good job. My flat is rented so I can't just replace the carpet.

Thanks

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Vanish has always worked for me on dog sick and red wine.
    I hope you are fully recovered soon.

3. Very miserable for you, one of my least favourite jobs.
    Act quickly, because it is slightly acid and may discolour the carpet.
    Scrpe up what you can, ( newspaper, or dustpan and brush you can throw away after?)
    rubbergloves, hot water, carpet shampoo,or mild soap.
    Saw dust can help absorb liquid.
    Basically, scrape it up, the nwash and mop up, wash and mop up, wsh and mop up,as many times as you can.
    Dry it with heater, if you have one, hairdryer helps,
    then asses. may at this stage need a ruitene carpet clean, of some sort.

Good luck. Hope you feel better

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Cut a circle out of the carpet
    Stick it in the oven
    Free Pizza!

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A solution of bio washing powder/liquid should get rid of the smell. It works on pet accidents.

6. And if all that fails try white wine vinegar and bicarb - bicarb can work like magic!
    Rub it in, wait for it to dry and hoover it out. White wine vinegar is also a great neutraliser! Both together can be great and don't tend to do any damage to any material at all!

7. Thanks all, I went down the 'natural' route with vinegar and bicarb which seem to have worked quite well. There is still a bit of a mark but it's nowhere near as bad as before!

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The delicate aroma of recycled stomach contents is down to compounds like butanoic acid.
    Best to neutralise this with bicarb or, even better, washing soda. Then add a bit of water, soak into a cloth, kitchen roll or whatever. It can take a while.
    Vinegar and bicarb if applied together tend to cancel each other out.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    P