1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick on the carpet, help!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Coffeebean102, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am just getting over a bout of gastroenteritis. I woke up this morning feeling really really hungry (first time in days!) and enjoyed a fairly large breakfast consisting of two slices of toast, a bowl of cereal and coffee. However, not that long after, I was sitting on the sofa and suddenly felt really nauseous. While getting up to run to the bathroom, I projectile vomited onto my living room carpet. I think it was caused by eating too much too quickly and my stomach getting a bit of a shock from all the food. Am annoyed with myself but I was just so happy to wake up with my appetite back. Thankfully I dont feel too bad now, just a bit shaky.

My question is, what is the best way of getting sick out of a carpet? I don't have any kids so not used to this sort of thing! I have tried a cheap carpet shampoo but it doesn't seem to be doing a very good job. My flat is rented so I can't just replace the carpet.

Thanks

2. Bicarbonate of soda liberally sprinkled on. Leave overight and hoover off.

3. Oh, and take it easy with the food! Avoid fat for a few days and definitely no coffee if you feel nauseous.

4. On the recovery front, avoid dairy products for a few more days if you can bear to.
    For cat sick (usually pretty foul and containing grass) I find that antibacterial wipes are good at removing the stain as well as the pong! Good luck!

5. If can get to your local Pets At Home store or a big pet shop pick up a bottle of 'Simple Solution', this American (I think!) product is brilliant for cleaning up dog sick and worse and has been the saviour of my carpets and rugs many times. It won't take the colour out of the carpet and completely removes odour as well as any residue - it also lasts a very long time as you only need to use a small amount, so useful to tuck away in the back of a cupboard for future emergencies.

6. What a lovely post. I usually find Rug Doctor works well for the dog.

7. I know this is old but can I just say: urrgh! You POOR thing! Is there anything worse than throwing up and then having to clean it up? If I'd seen this in time, my answer would have been: find the Yellow Pages and get some professionals in. I'm sure you're all better by now and this has become a fun, festive anecdote x

8. I would go with the bicarb too.

9. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I find Vanish works for human sick - not so well for pets though