1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sick of "what's the point in ICT anyway?" comments

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Mr_G_ICT, May 5, 2011.

1. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

How do you handle them? i maybe didn't do the best by blowing up and the kid and said "i am insulted that you even decided to make a comment in this classroom in front of me who is obviously so passionate about his subject"
    I'm at a point at which the next kid who does it is getting a 300 word essay on "what woudl life be like without technology"

2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

How do you handle them? i maybe didn't do the best by blowing up and the kid and said "i am insulted that you even decided to make a comment in this classroom in front of me who is obviously so passionate about his subject"
    I'm at a point at which the next kid who does it is getting a 300 word essay on "what woudl life be like without technology"

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Don't get that comment ever. Maybe you should create some sort of small display on the wall and next time it gets asked just point to it and walk off.

4. I sometimes get that about a particular topic - "Why do we have to do databases?", "What's the point of Scratch?". More often than not though, it's ME asking THEM what the point is. If they asked me I would probably ask them when was the last day that they DIDN'T use ICT. No phones, no TVs, no consoles...

If that doesn't convince them then they're not going to be persuaded so leave them with an answer, whether they choose to accept it or not.

5. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

the school has underinvested in ICT, a number of the staff can't even send an email with an attachment and the kids don't see staff using technology effectively, so no-wonder they say it sometimes.

Having said that, the ICT dept has changed so much since myself and the new HoD has started this year, you wouldn't even recognise the place!

6. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

This is what i did do....you have a phone it's ict, you have a console, it's ict. I think i'm a bit tired after the first week back!

7. This is a classic example of perception. Kids perceive ICT to be synonymous with Facebook, messaging and Youtube. They often experience culture shock when exposed to database and spreadsheets, especially in the context of problem-solving. And the problem is further exacerbated by ICT being tarnished by course specifications that are often butt-clenchingly boring.