1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick of interviews and no job.......concerned partner

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by PETERPIPER, May 17, 2011.

1. If it is any consolation, four interviews is not that many in our current very competitive job market. Also, if your partner only has two years' experience, most schools would regard her as pretty newbie: after all, wasn't she an NQT only last year? So I honestly don't think she's losing out due to her experience / cost.
    I am UPS1 and have an interview this week but an NQT in my dept has not had any luck finding a job for Sept (three apps, no interviews). My tip would be to read the wording of the job ad carefully: some make it clear (ish) that they want an NQT without resorting to obvious age discrimination, e.g 'NQTs are warmly welcomed to apply'. Other schools that have the budget or need an experienced candidate to balance a young dept tend to ask directly for 'experience' or 'evidence of good results' which an NQT obviously won't have.
    Finally, changing jobs to avoid competition is crazy. She wants to try and get a job in media, or another tough industry! I was up against 200 candidates once for a BBC job. I got through to the 2nd round and had a five person panel interview. Trust me: that was tougher!

2. PS I agree: it was the last g'ment's fault for training far too many teachers than had realsitic prospects of getting jobs.

3. I will check the wording...that's a good Tip....
    Teaching is not all it's cracked up to be.....so glad they turned me down at uni 10 years ago !! best thing that ever happened to me...

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I have been to two interviews as a prospective NQT in September and have lost out on both occasions to experienced teachers. The first time was a teacher of 11 years on the upper pay scale, the second to a teacher of 4 years. I was told both times that I will always be at a disadvantage to experienced teachers as they have more developed skills and knowledge which will always come through at interview. I was told that they don't make any allowances for the fact I am still a trainee teacher and that the interview outcome criteria is the same for me as for an experienced teacher.
    Mind you my friend (teacher of 10 years) went for an interview and was turned down because the school said they did not realise she was on the upper scale and could not afford her. So I really do think it depends on the school.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which demonstrates that you are not a teacher. NQTs are not the easy option for schools at all. They need an extra 10% of non-contact time a week which a school has to find cover for. They need a mentor, who often wants some non-contact time here and there and be happy to take on the extra work. NQTs also need and want to attend many INSET courses, again meaning cover has to be found. This all adds up and they are therefore not the cheap or easy option at all.

The reason your partner is getting interviews could be because she is actually the easier option. She has a couple of years experience, does not require the extra support of an NQT and yet is still not all that expensive at all. Four interviews is nothing at all. If she is getting interviews, she is an attractive proposition, she just needs to work on wowing them on the day to get the job.
    Why? I assume she has a temporary post at the moment and so will be able to continue to apply for posts past the May resignation deadline for those with permanent posts. Also many staff hand in their resignation at the last minute, so there will be a good influx of jobs. Of course there is hope. Giving up after for unsuccessful applications is just plain daft.
    WOW! That sounds rather odd.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

YOU will?
    Nope it is way, way better than anything I'd every have thought possible! After 15 years I still can't imagine doing anything else!

7. Yes, 'I' will.....thanks for your reply, but why would a school hire an NQT over a teacher with excellent reference, excellent demostrable results, expereince, additoinal qualifications, and then give it to a NQT, or even people who ain't finished the PGCE yet!
    There is only one answer : £££, and jobs for family and friends.
    Of course, there will be schools who do not fit this mould....
    A non-teachers view on teaching :
    1) Teachers get paid ok, but add the 15 hrs extra they are expected to work every week, = pants.
    2) Not enough jobs
    3) Jobs for NQTs, family and friends
    4) Paperwork, and processes has damaged the traditional ways of teaching. I see teachers spending 2hrs to plan a one hr bloody lesson! and then having to write up!

8. I've got the opposite problem. I've had two interviews and lost to an experienced teacher both times, and this has been given as part of the reason in my feedback- "we need someone more experienced so have decided not to appoint an NQT on this occasion." I find it really weird as they must KNOW I'm an NQT when they shortlist me, are they chancing it just in case I'm absolutely outstanding and they've found the next superteacher in training and then thinking "oh, she's a normal NQT, forget it then"....? [​IMG]

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Good Heavens! Glad my partner isn't so bitter about my chosen profession.

2 hrs to plan a lesson is just plain stupid. I can't ever remember a time when I did that. If your partner is doing so then there is something seriously wrong.

15 hours extra over what? Most only teach for something like 25 hours, so an extra 15 still only makes 40 hours, hardly a massive number! And we do get 13 weeks holiday a year.

Not enough jobs in many areas is a nuisance. I'll let you have that one.

Jobs generally speaking go to the best candidate. If it happens to be an NQT then so be it. But as this thread should be telling you, experienced teachers do get jobs over NQTs. Students are often keen and enthusiastic and up to date on current methods, so are a good addition to the staff of a school.

I sincerely hope your partner is rather less bitter than you are.

10. Hi,

I think you're right! My experience largely mirrors your partner's - working so hard for every interview to just miss out to cheaper teachers. This definitely is a problem with teaching at the moment. If it's any consolation, i finally got a job after my 15th interview!!! My partner was getting stressed by it all because it really takes its toll. Any tips? Go for jobs with a responsibility point attached; look for ads on lesser frequented websites eg eTeach, your local council; send speculative letters in case the odd maternity cover/sickness cover comes up. At the end of the day, it just comes down to luck, rather than your performance on the day. I wish you both well.

11. Hi I have been qualified since sept 2011 and had 15 interviews but no one is giving me the break, even my own school head where Iv been working as TA for past 7 years. what should i do? scared to lose regular salary and go on supply to increase my chances for a teachers post but cant decide. help any suggestions.
    Nazia

12. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I'm not disagreeing with this, however it's not that simple, believe me!
    I recently had a number of interviews to secure a HOD position. I was shortlisted without fail and, when the schools had additiona shortlists halfway through the day, made it to the final two/three but then lost out to an experienced HOD.
    I finally managed to secure one, thank goodness but your confidence is knocked after a couple of rejections and can make it hard.

13. I agree and sympathize with the original poster. After 3 months on JSA I am now worrying about paying my mortgage and supporting my family. I left a secure job to relocate and at the top if mps on got shortlisted for deputy head roles after no response from hundreds of mainscale jobs. I took the first job offered in what turned out to be a school with a track record of losing experienced teachers due to the HT bad management stle and followed suit after nearly having a breakdown after 6 weeks. She was making me plan for my 2 hr management/ppa time and u was up half the night before as there were a lack if resources so I was making them and the supply teacher refused to plan ir be contracted yet she was the only one the school was able to regularly use as others never returned. Anyway a 4 year break took me to a job leading music CPD and trainih for teachers in my region but funding forcthat ran out so I am now on supply and jsa due to half a days work a week and writing g applications. I have had 4 interviews now , 3 went to nqts and the other had 2 posts one went to a supply teacher who had been there months and another from a teacher being made redundant at a nearby school. At all my interviews I have chatted to people who know the area and all the other jobs I applied for also went to nqts.

Teaching is not a 36-40 hr a were job no matter what some posters have said. I would get in for 8, leave at 5 or later and work through lunch. I would be marking at home on evenings and weekends and often spend time on planning and resourcing lessons. School holidays ate a joke as teachers do sound time working, catching up with marking and planning. I also used to spend my own money on resources!! After a few years if this I stopped the never-ending work and stopped taking stuff home etc. I ended up doing an OU degree!!!!

Anyway after a job the last few years working from home when I want, working in a lovely building where I had lunch meetings and spent time with people away from my desk I can see why people slag off teachers and their holidays, my job gave me 4 weeks but I also accrewed time off if I worked too many hours ( usually by attending courses overnight in lovely hotels or travelling round the country for meetings and training) .

So why am I back to teaching? No one else will take me on, over qualified, under qualified, not enough experience etc, and I seem to be pulled back to it like a weird force I can't stop.

So, to the original poster, supply isn't great as it is hit and miss, I take pre booked only as I can't arrange childcare fir emergency same day cover. Register with several agencies, um not but will, and send cv to nearby schools, apply for jobs with additional responsibility or part time ones - I am getting interviews for mainscale and I am only applying part time. I think less students go for these! Apply more rural too, further away from bus route, uni etc, check lea website daily as they go up with short turn around times the days.

14. I sympathise with you, Teacher2004. I have been in similar situations: the favoured candidates get shown around the school in the morning and interview later; the less favoured ones, the other way around. Then you get asked what changes you would make to the department, which, of course, you have not seen, yet.
    A particularly nasty little scam, usually tried on by agencies, when they send for a long-term position, but also some schools, is the CRB one. You are told about the vacancy but also that the school 'insists' on a new CRB for each applicant: in effect, a tax of £45 on every application. I have heard of one school trying this on, too; but only on applicants they intend to interview.

15. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

With respect to your second point I would guess that its some sort of check. The panel has no way of telling that the person sat in front of them is the same person who filled in the application. A simple check would be to ask questions already answered on the form at interview and see if they are the same.
    Customs officers do something similar if they encounter dodgy characters walking through the "Nothing to declare" channel at airports. Not that I've ever stopped at customs of course.