1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sick of flatmates

Discussion in 'Personal' started by countrybumpkin, Nov 17, 2010.

1. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin New commenter

I have been renting for almost a year and recently moved into a rented room in a 'professional' house.
    I am absolutely sick of it but can't face moving again as I have moved about too much recently.
    It is the usual shared house stuff; a pile of dishes the size of a mountain, disgusting mess and no one ever seeming to clean or care. How do I tackle this without annoying people. I only have to put up with this until I find a house to buy, maybe another 6 months. The person who owns the house is the worst offender and she is likely to throw me out if I annoy her! There is no contract.

2. countrybumpkin

I have been renting for almost a year and recently moved into a rented room in a 'professional' house.
    I am absolutely sick of it but can't face moving again as I have moved about too much recently.
    It is the usual shared house stuff; a pile of dishes the size of a mountain, disgusting mess and no one ever seeming to clean or care. How do I tackle this without annoying people. I only have to put up with this until I find a house to buy, maybe another 6 months. The person who owns the house is the worst offender and she is likely to throw me out if I annoy her! There is no contract.

3. Basically, just get on with it for 6 months! Maybe do a big clean yourself every so often - e.g. v. loudly on a Saturday morning when everyone's having a lie in - this could guilt trip them to joining in, I know I would if it was me lying in bed with somene else cleaning up after me!

I decided a few years ago that it's very difficult for teacher's to live in house shares, I don't know that many teachers who do it for long, unless it's with people they were already friends with. It just doesn't work, adds to the stress!

During my last house share I spent a lot of my time either eating out/ around friend's houses, going away for weekends or in my room reading. I only lived with one other person who was the 'landlady' (her name was on the tenancy agreement, she sub-let the spare room)and found her quite intimidating.

It's no fun but if it's only for 6 months stay where you are and try and survive without annoying your landlady and having to move all over again!

(although maybe I'm forgetting how awful it can be living in a house share you don't like!)

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When I shared a house with someone who never cleaned or washed up I used to hide a clean set of dishes and cutlery inside the one place he would never dream of looking - the washing machine. I used them, washed them, dried them and hid them every night until he ran out of cutlery and dishes and had no choice but to tackle the festering mountain he'd left in the sink.

I'd suggest you keep a clean set of everything you need in your room out of sight.

5. I agree magic, but that is really not how you want to live, especially if you are well past being a student.
    I can't stand it anymore. My current housemate can be a bit selfish, chauvantistic is some ways but he is generally clean and tidy and we are both away enough to give each other a sense of space, so it will work out.
    THere is no way in the world I can get the £50k I would ideally need as a deposit. Even though I could happily afford the monthly repayments for a £280k place.
    So I have to suck it up!

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Automatic dishwashers are cheap, install one and charge the *** their share

7. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Ah but then lurkio the arguments transfer then to loading and unloading x

8. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Feel glad it is only 6 months til you can get your own place. I've got about 3yrs until that! Moving out soon, but i've only stayed sane by never being in my place at the weekends. I live with the house owner, not in very often but his mess is! When his girlfriend is here it's even worse. We have a dishwasher, he still leaves dirty pots all over the sink and worktop! He is a nice enough bloke and when I make the odd 'jokey' dig he cleans up a bit, but it's his house so feel i have to tread carefully.
    I don't even have a TV in my room, so when he is in I sit upstairs working or watching what I can find on iplayer!

9. Dogcat, tv's are really dirt cheap. I don't buy that as an acceptable reason!
    The rest, definitely feel for you, but under no circumstances does he need to provide you a tv. Buy your own!
    I have a 19 inch flat screen with a built dvd player for £129 from Argos. Perfect for the bedroom. And they are cheaper than that.

10. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I don't expect him to buy my a tv at all. Was just making the point that I don't have one. There is nowhere to put one, unless I also buy a stand for it and even then would struggle for floor space for it. He doesn't want the holes of one being put on the wall.
    I survive pretty well without one, just go to my bf's at the weekend, as there is no point in him coming to mine due to the mess and lack of technology in my room! In the week I sit downstairs if my housemate is at work, and if not I sit in my room and work.
    Moving out soon anyway, and in future if I need somewhere to live I think I'll have to bite the financial bullet and rent on my own. No way I could keep living in shared accommodation.

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

It is not really shared accommodation is it? You are more of a lodger. Shared houses sans landlord are much better in my experience. I would give him a good talking to. Explain that he is a pig and that his sty is unacceptable. He will have to clean up after himself or you will be engaging a cleaner and taking the money out of the rent.
    But then I can be forthright and assertive, it is not for everyone.

12. countrybumpkin

Thanks. Guess I just need to put up with it for a while. Hopefully won't be long.

13. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Just keep yourself to yourself as much as possible, and/or arrange to not be around at the weekend. I find that weekends are the worst, in the week I come in from work, eat, do some work, occasionally go to the gym and then bed!

14. countrybumpkin

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Just cleaned the entire place. Took about 2 hours. Flatmates in their rooms and can clearly hear the hoover and completely ignored it. Lazy idiots. Dishes are a mountain again and I will not do those as none of them are mine.
    We have a pile of bin bags (5 weeks worth) to take out into the passage tonight. Why should I do it when I do far more then they do? I don't mind putting a few bags out but I'm not doing them all.
    RANT OVER.

15. Kill them

Kill aaaaallll the f*ckers.

When they arrest you, you'll be able to blame coffeekid from TES.

16. Place a full bin bag in front of each of their doors.
    Place a pile of dirty dishes and pan in front of each room door too.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hardly a rant. You have obviously never known someone like me to go off on one!!!!

18. Oh, this thread makes me so happy that this is all behind me. I did the shared house thing for 4 years as a young teacher and it was a bizarre parallel - had to be professional at work and then returned to a studentesque house.

19. countrybumpkin

This was the tame version!

As for putting the stuff outside their rooms - I love it!
    I can dream of it anyway!

20. Yes, my rants are VERY different.
    And when I was living in a flat share many moons ago I had LOTS of them.
    The loudest was when a flat mate had made some toast, not turned off the grill and then gone off to bonk her boyfriend.
    I still have the scars.
    I was not amused at all and I think I made her boyfriend's ***** shrivel.