1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick of being undermined!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by LoopyFluff, Jan 6, 2011.

1. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

I wonder if I qualify as a dinosaur. I wasn't named specifically but I wouldn't want to be overlooked.
    I think being a velociraptor would be quite cool. It would certainly improve classroom behaviour I think (although I think my delivery of the curriculum might suffer a little)

2. Funny I'd say that the most disruptive environments required the most punitive regimes, I think you are muddling cause and effect. Also what research?
    Most of the 'modern positive ideas' suggested here are not modern and have been around in some form for many years.
    I've never observed one practising teacher or seen one piece of evidence that has convinces me that your 'modern positive ideas' work. In fact the only people who seem to swear by them are 'behavioural wallahs' who travel the country lining their own pockets on the back of fantasy.
    So - your ideas work do they? Perhaps you would like to furnish us with credible details of one school, just one, that has been turned around by using them?

3. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

So what dinosaur are you Mr Leonard? For some reason I'm picturing a stegosaurus.

4. Off the top of my head - a good one to start with might be 'The Motivated School' by Alan McLean - as summarised here..https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6014079
    From there, you could go on to look into Positive Assertive Discipline, consider the L and T context within which the pupils are operating, be genuinely reflective and be willing to look at new tactics within the context of what the research shows...as highlighted by some of the other posters.

5. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

Very interesting article.
    I thought this paragraph
    "Teachers’ own capacity for responsible confidence shapes their teaching
    styles. Any discussion about pupil confidence must start with the
    conditions which affect teacher confidence. The capacity to build
    responsible confidence in pupils can only flourish in a culture of
    teacher autonomy. The less pressurised teachers feel, the more attuning
    their style will be. An over-pushy style, in contrast, is taken when
    teachers rigidly focus on the attainment agenda and, consequently,
    become less tuned into their pupils’ needs."
    is a key one.
    Sadly in many schools teacher autonomy does not exist and teachers are told off if their results do not meet arbitrary targets. This is particularly ludicrous in KS3. Since the arrival of league tables and since OFSTED made results their main concern attainment is king and in my opinion this leads to risk averse pupils who want to be spoonfed everything in small bitesize easily memorised chunks and risk averse teachers that are only too willing to do so.

6. A good what? What are you responding to?
    The article looks like all the usual rubbish, self-esteem, learning styles (although apparently called stances here) and independent learning.
    This is the stuff that's been in fashion for decades (and even longer in the US) and has got us into the mess we're in.
    What research? Why do people keep mentioning "research" without specifying what they are reeferring to?

7. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

While I agree that learning styles are absolute drivel of the highest order self esteem and independent learning are important. Self esteem has a demonstrable effect on pupils willingness to engage and participate in lessons. Surely we want pupils with high rather than low self esteem. If I can do something that improves a pupils self esteem without sacrificing their learning or permitting them to behave poorly then I do so.
    Different people mean different things by independent learning. I mean pupils, having had a task explained to them and having been taught the necessary skills to attempt the task, doing so without needing further teacher input every 2 seconds. I try to insist that my pupils have a reasonable attempt at a task before asking for help. I want them to be able to use their brains without asking me how first. I require their questions/contributions to display some evidence of them having applied some brain activity to the question or matter at hand. I think these things are important and not "rubbish" at all.

8. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

I think the research done by Carol Dweck is highly relevant when it comes to self-esteem and independent learning. It is also very good. I highly recommend it to you OA.