1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick notes to prove pregnancy related?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by emmamc252, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi, just looking for advice, I managed my 1st 12 weeks but the last 4 have Bern a nightmare. Had a couple of days off just sickness/exhaustion the start of this half term, went back, fainted in a restaurant a few days later, went drs who suspected anemia, signed me off got 2 weeks, had blood tests, put on iron tablets and had b12 injection. Felt ok when off but slept A LOT. Went back last Tuesday, by Friday was exhausted again, slept all weekend literally, managed yesterday, slept last night, this morning woke up about 5 am being sick AGAIN then alarm at 7 wakes me up to find a pillow covered in blood from nose bleed (I've been having these too but only small ones, this sure looked like a big one,) and to be sick again. All hot, feeling exhausted so have phoned in sick again. Am just getting soooooo worried about work! I'm going up rest today and hopefully go back tomorrow but it's just worrying me so much.
    I have dr notes for the 2 full weeks I was off that stipulate pregnancy related, but I've also had today and the first 2 days where I haven't and am just self certifying, is that ok? Or do I need a drs note every time to prove it's pregnancy related sickness and not just a cold or whatever? Just don't want ppl thinking I'm not trying to come in, believe me I am!
    Midwife said that I will feel mire tired etc, have slightly high blood pressure too so she advised that if I am having a bad day that I do "rest" so it doesn't get worse, but just so worried about everything from baby if I do push myself too hard to work to the kids, just everything.
    Any advice? X

2. Hi, just looking for advice, I managed my 1st 12 weeks but the last 4 have Bern a nightmare. Had a couple of days off just sickness/exhaustion the start of this half term, went back, fainted in a restaurant a few days later, went drs who suspected anemia, signed me off got 2 weeks, had blood tests, put on iron tablets and had b12 injection. Felt ok when off but slept A LOT. Went back last Tuesday, by Friday was exhausted again, slept all weekend literally, managed yesterday, slept last night, this morning woke up about 5 am being sick AGAIN then alarm at 7 wakes me up to find a pillow covered in blood from nose bleed (I've been having these too but only small ones, this sure looked like a big one,) and to be sick again. All hot, feeling exhausted so have phoned in sick again. Am just getting soooooo worried about work! I'm going up rest today and hopefully go back tomorrow but it's just worrying me so much.
    I have dr notes for the 2 full weeks I was off that stipulate pregnancy related, but I've also had today and the first 2 days where I haven't and am just self certifying, is that ok? Or do I need a drs note every time to prove it's pregnancy related sickness and not just a cold or whatever? Just don't want ppl thinking I'm not trying to come in, believe me I am!
    Midwife said that I will feel mire tired etc, have slightly high blood pressure too so she advised that if I am having a bad day that I do "rest" so it doesn't get worse, but just so worried about everything from baby if I do push myself too hard to work to the kids, just everything.
    Any advice? X

3. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

Sorry you feel so rough. I had a terrible time when pregnant so I do feel for you. On the self certs I always wrote 'due to pregnancy' at the end. Also, it would probably be worth asking your doctor for a 'fit note' which basically says over the next few weeks you may not be in/be in late/have to leave early due to pregnancy. My one basically said that I couldn't tell by 7:30 in the morning whether I could make a whole day (that's the time we have to phone in by and I was usually throwing up still then) but I would let them know for definite by 9, when I was either still throwing up, exhausted from throwing up or just about well enough to drag myself in. I set cover for my p1 lessons and the head said on the days I wasn't teaching p1 I could come in later which did help a little. Hope you start feeling better soon :)

4. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

Just reread your post and saw you are feeling worried about what work think. My doctor said to me 'in 10 years time are you really going to care about the fact you took a few weeks off to look after yourself and your baby'. Put it into perspective for me as I was feeling mega guilty about it too.

5. Hi,
    I just had to post after reading yours. I can completely understand how you're feeling as I'm in a similar position and don't really know what to do. I'm 12 weeks pregnant and my school do not know yet. I'm due for my 12 week scan this week and have sufferd really badly with sickness since Christmas. I've managed to make it in to work until this week as I passed out at weekend and have felt rotten since. Very scary experience. Got rushed to hospital at weekend where they didn't do any checks - just said my blood pressure was very low and that I was probably a bit dehydrated. They didn't check blood for iron or anything. Have not been to the doctors so have not been signed off and I'm hoping to go back in to work at the end of the week (although I feel like I need a couple of weeks off!). I feel very guilty at not being in school. I've not heard of a fit note and didn't realise the doctor could write a note saying that you may not be in all the time.
    My problem is that I don't want work to know yet because of implications it will have for next year. They are very dodgy with the timetabling and I don't want them knowing so that it influences any decisions they are making at the moment (doing the option choices).
    The only advice I can offer is to do what is best for you - much easier said than done as I'm struggling with it myself. Good luck though and keep us informed of what you decide xx

6. Thanks for replies. I ummed and aaahed wether to go back after the 2 weeks as I knew I had been sleeping so much which I wouldn't be able to do when back at work. I went back as I wanted to try but I'm wiped out again after a week. My doctor also prescribed me some sort of antehistemine tablets to ease the sickness which worked quite well but just knocked me out, I guess maybe the idea is you can't be being sick if you are asleep all the time. I stopped taking those after a week as they really did just make me feel groggy and asleep the whole time! I'm not keen on the idea of taking medications whilst I'm carrying anyway.
    It's just so difficult to know what to do, unfortunately I know that our school has very high absentee rates and smt are always polite but there's a lot of eye rolling and talk behind closed doors. It's not the most supportive work environment at the best of times, think every teacher there is there for the kids and the kids alone.
    I'm prob going to stay off today and tomorrow, go back for last 2 days of half term and let them roll their eyes at me. How I'm going to cope with the next 6 week half term
    I have no idea! Guess will have to just wait and see!

7. Hi emmamc252 - just wanted to add that I'm sure your school and colleagues will understand why you've been off as they know you're pregnant so try not to worry about what other people think.
    I've got a scan this afternoon and then I think I'llbook in the doctor's for tomorrow. Not sure if I have a bug or something as I feel so ill. But if t is just pregnancy then think I could do with something to just make me sleep until it passes.thought at 12 weeks it would be easing off but it is getting worse and unbearable!