1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick note explain please anyone ?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by minicooper53, Mar 4, 2016.

1. minicooper53

minicooper53 Established commenter

Hi everyone

My sick note is due to run out within next few days and have seen GP again who has issued me with a sick note stating may be fit for a work with a phased return requested on the note. Slightly confused does this mean I can return or is this classed as I am still off ??

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It means you are not ready for full time work but if it could be arranged you could return part time, building towards full time over a few weeks.

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

Speak to your Union(not the school rep) to ensure you receive the best phased return to school.

4. minicooper53

Thabk you but when my current one runs out does this one suffice until I have had a meeting with work as that meeting isn't for a week or so?

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

A meeting with OH would be a good idea.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I should contact school ASAP and ask them to advise you.

I would foresee that they will scramble to meet with you.

I can easily see that they will suggest you turn up at school the day after the current note expires. They might well expect you to teach but I would imagine they will interview you first. Definitely consult your union.

A phased return means going part-time until you're up to resuming your usual timetable. So you had better think this through NOW. How many days or half-days? Which days? Which groups? Are there any lessons you are physically unable to teach? Will you have a problem with stairs?

I do NOT want to suggest that the school will try to bamboozle you. They are not all exploitative. But the doctor deems you fit to ease yourself back in so that's what you should be working towards.

wanet likes this.
  7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Occupational Health usually supervise the phasing - but I need to point out that many schools have policies which determine the maximum length of phasing (in my last school it was a maximum of 4 weeks).

wanet likes this.
  8. minicooper53

I understand that but what I am confused is my current fit note runs out next week however not due to see OCC H until after this and doctor has issued another fit note that says I may be fit for work but as yet not had a meeting to discuss phased return... So can I stay off work until after OH appointment even though note says may be fit for work sorry if this sounds a bit confusing ...

9. grumpydogwoman

No. You should contact school at once and ask them how to proceed. They are within their rights to suggest a modified plan before you meet with OH. You must give school the opportunity to bring forward the OH consultation. There is nothing wrong with negotiating an interim arrangement with the HT.

You might decide (an example only) on three mornings initially followed by two full days with the option for you to speak with the HT if your health is suffering and a meeting for the end of Day 4 to plan the next week. And so forth.

But you are not at liberty not to attend. This is your cue to begin the return to work process. You must make overtures to school now you know the doctor's views and have been given a date.

wanet likes this.
  10. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

You need to contact the school. You are classed as fit to return if they put in place a phased return. If they don't, then you can use the note to stay off until you are well enough to return full time. Your head can decide whether they would like you to return part time or wait until you have been to OH.

wanet likes this.
  11. minicooper53

So I need to contact them or my rep does ASAP as sick note runs out soon....

12. Torey

Your Union can contact them for you and decide which is the best option. You only need to return though if the 'fit' part of the note is observed.

13. minicooper53

My Union has advised me to get another sick note to cover me until OH appointment ?? Confused.com

14. grumpydogwoman

You have to decide
    1. shall I try to persuade the doctor that, as my OH meeting is not yet due, s/he should sign me off again as unfit until the meeting takes place
    2. whether to call school and negotiate an interim return to work on a limited basis

Clearly the GP currently expects you to do the latter (2).

But if you think you aren't yet fit and this anxiety has caused a setback then you need to go and plead your case with the GP.

wanet likes this.
  15. Torey

The union is wrong. You have a note that states you are fit to return only if there is a phased return. If that isn't in place, then you stay off.

If you ring the receptionist at your GP surgery they will explain it to you.

16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I am surprised that you didn't have this conversation with your doctor? When I was in a similar position, the decision was as much mine as his. But if he has said that you are ready for a phased return, then you need to contact the school to that effect.

17. minicooper53

I did have the conversation but think there's been some wires crossed .... As it is the weekend then a phased return can't be sorted out imminently so will have to maybe speak to GP again?

18. grumpydogwoman

So you're fit (according to the GP AND provided it's a phased return) to go back on Monday?

Yes, it is a bit late in the day.

If it's Monday then I would get in touch with school as best I could (even leave a voicemail if that's the best you can do) to explain you will be going to the doctor ON Monday for another sick-note.

Get an emergency appointment and explain to the doctor that this is scaring the bejeezus out of you and that you aren't ready YET.

wanet likes this.
  19. minicooper53

Ok thanks I'll see what GP says Monday

20. grumpydogwoman

Well, you have to be a bit more assertive, I think.

Clearly the prospect of going back full-time/ in at the deep end is upsetting you.

You know you want to meet with OH so tell the doctor you simply aren't confident about going back until the plan is in place and you've had the meeting. Tell the doctor you DO favour a phased return and easing yourself back in but are terrified of doing so without advice from the OH. You fear that, without this meeting, you'll simply be thrust back into it and struggle all over again. You hadn't appreciated quite what a phased return entailed and worked yourself up into a right state of dread over the weekend that has rendered you currently unable to go back without support.

Write it all down. Say it slowly. Stop to breathe.

Think ahead though.

School will want you back. Doctor will want you to go back. OH is there to help you get back.

The only thing left is for YOU to want to go back. Go back gently. Are you in that frame of mind yet? Maybe you thought you were. Maybe you are not. Maybe you've had a setback. But try to be positive about what you need and help the doctor understand rather than have an outcome imposed upon you.

wanet likes this.