1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick note after 36 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by b15b2y, Jan 17, 2020.

1. b15b2y

b15b2y New commenter

Hi all
    Hoping someone can help with my query. I’m 36 weeks today so aware that technically any sick days would start my maternity leave.
    I absolutely just cannot go yet...as a HOD I have a list a mile long of things to do before going.
    However, I have an existing medical condition that means I am experiencing a huge amount of pain in my hip joints. I’m awake at night for hours, have prescription painkillers and waiting to see a physio.
    So...what I wanted to know was if I needed to phone in sick in a bid to just sit for the day (being able to rest does make such a difference) do I need to attain a sick note before ringing in sick, or can I provide one after?
    I only have two weeks left but I’d like to know the best way to handle a situation where I’ve barely slept and am in pain before the day has been begun.
    I asked midwife who wasn’t sure, and rang to speak to doctors who suggested making an apt to discuss...but then didn’t have any appts available ‍♀️
    TIA.

2. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

Only sickness related to pregnancy would trigger the start of your maternity leave. If the reason for your absence is related to a condition pre-pregnancy then school would not be able to enforce you to go. If it is just for one day it is unlikely that you would get a sick note from your GP as you self certify for the first 7 days. The problem that you may encounter is if work don't believe that this is unrelated to pregnancy. If they were aware of the problem before pregnancy then that may be easier and refer back to how it was dealt with previously.

I understand that you don't feel ready to start your maternity leave yet but this may be your bodies way of saying you need to rest and go now. You may have a huge list of things you need to do but someone else will have to step in and complete it for you instead. Your priority is to you and your baby.

Good luck.

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Your priorities are all to ****. Seriously!

just go,

the rest isn't your problem, and nor should you be even thinking about it.

The chances of this beig accepted as not pregnancy related is absolute zero, as all hip conditions worsen during pregnancy, and many people without hip problem also get them

In fact, this could be a sign that labour is nearing, as pelvic pain increases as the joints soften.

Just go now. Don't be stupid about this.

It won't matter a toss by Easter, whether you went now or next week, but damage done to your babies health could last 80 years.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If the baby were to arrive now (10% are more than three weeks early), you would have to go. They'll just have to cope with any jobs you haven't finished.

I think I'd just be inclined to take the day off sick, and let the maternity start.

You could suggest that you do a KIT day later in the week for sorting out the remaining handover. Make a list and prioritise. You might have been planning to finish off loads of tasks yourself, but it's more important that you jot down what needs to be done so someone else can take over.

(Note to others: if you are not planning to start leave until close to the birth, still aim to have handover ready a few weeks before, just in case.)

TheoGriff likes this.
  5. charlene09

charlene09 New commenter

I have hypermobility and could barely walk as I had crutches. Everyone said get a sick note at 36 weeks but union said it would have still counted as pregnancy related because I could walk before I got pregnant and in early pregnancy.
    Just get work to amend your duties so you sit all day