1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick leave

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by J_J, Oct 11, 2015.

1. J_J

J_J New commenter

I have just recently moved to working in a reception class after working in KS1. On my second week of this term I was observed by my head of school who graded the lesson as RI. I was then observed again a week later and given RI again. As a result I was given 3 weeks to improve and I am currently on my last week. If I am not considered good by the end of this week then I will be going through capability procedures. In addition to this there have been several incidents of work place bullying in front of other staff and in private. Other colleagues are also going through the same process.

I am now considering leaving my position regardless if I get graded as good or not as I feel I can no longer work in the school due to stress. My union has advised that I should not hand in my noticed but sign off sick for stress and they will then negotiate pay up until Christmas.

What I would like to find out is whether it is better to resign by the October deadline and then go sick until Christmas. Or just sign off sick and leave the union to negotiate pay and an exit plan.

I would also like to know other people's thoughts on whether my school have acted fairly or within guidelines? I feel that there is very little I can do about this situation.

2. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I can't say anything other than this is an abuse, and a terrifying one. There but for the Grace of God...

Play the system, go off sick and string it out. **** them.

3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

What a terrible situation and what appalling behaviour meted out by a fellow professional. Sadly, you are not alone - just look at the many other posts on this forum. I believe the running total is now 55.

Not knowing all of the details it sounds as if they have acted within 'the rules' (which came into force in September 2012 - STPCD). Another poster @GLsghost may be able to give you some more information on your course of action.

Can I assume you are fairly experienced and on the upper pay scale?

My best wishes to you.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

This is disgusting

There is so much that is wrong, I don't know where to start

Your Head is a disgrace to the profession, and they need to be brought to book. I would go as far as to say that teaching is very clearly the wrong profession for them and they are the one who needs to be removed from position

I hope you get out with a good deal and move on to something better

snowyhead likes this.
  5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

What so annoys me with this is that a 3 used to be satisfactory. OK. Fine.

And Ofsted themselves have long said they don't want their lesson grading system being used for internal observation (although we all know the horse has not just bolted from that stable, it has run Aintree, Ayr, Nottingham, Kettering, Thurso, York, Doncaster and Lingfield for good measure!)

If the situation is causing you stress and ill health, get signed off and **** them as other say.

snowyhead likes this.
  6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

There is little that I can add to previous comments. We are not party to all the facts of this situation and able to say whether or not the Headteacher was acting reasonably.

It is certainly a reasonable act for an employer / manager / superior to monitor the work of an employee and require them to develop their practice. That is a normal activity in all workplaces.

The OP is being supported by the union, whose advice is that they should sign off sick with stress. The union is the appropriate authority to advise.

monicabilongame and snowyhead like this.
  7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I was under that illusion too, @scienceteachasghost. However, another poster took me to task on this issue. What Ofsted have said is that they don't expect teacher's lesson to be graded using the 'old' criteria, this does not (apparently) mean schools are not allowed to do it. As was suggested by a Chair of Governors on the forums, schools need some sort of grading system to make objective (please!) judgements. I don't agree, but then I'm just a teacher.

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

EVERYONE knows that the process you describe above is NOT what is happening in schools.

Two obs in two weeks then given three weeks to "improve"? How objective are these observations? Are they done by the head alone? For this, they should be done by at least two observers (preferably not both SLT) independently so that grades and comments can be compared to get a slightly more objective measure of the lesson.

I could go on a long time about the damaging, haphazard and ultimately unscientific nature of this sort of thing that seems rather prevalent in schools at the moment. One person's "opinion" is not sufficient for it to allow them to subject other professionals to this sort of treatment

snowyhead likes this.
  9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

In the real world it wouldn't be sufficient. This is 'education', where anything goes especially if you have been given carte blanche by the Government to write your own rules because you are an academy or free school.

I predict a riot!

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

One of the main issues with the grading system for lessons, besides the subjectivity, is the unrealistic high expectation.

Dare I say that there are some Heads out there that popped a few champagne corks when Ofsted 'invented' RI as a replacement to a 'satisfactory,' knowing it would be much easier to slough off expensive staff/anyone they didn't like?

snowyhead likes this.
  11. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Gove even gave them permission to do it. Nothing to do with squeezing of education budget, of course.