1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick leave self certification and part-time working

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Sally_90, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Good evening everyone, I'd be really glad of some advice from someone in the know!
    I'm now on a 0.6 (three days contract). Today (against my better judgment) I went in on my first working day of the week after being ill for most of the weekend with the same flu-like symptoms that have affected many people at our school since the New Year. I decided that as I was able to remain in a vertical position for more than an hour ( a vast improvement on the weekend) that I'd be fine to go in. BIG mistake. It's highly probable now that I won't be going back in this week to do my remaining two days, and I'm wondering how I go about self-certification now that I'm part-time . If I'm not due back into school until next Tuesday, will I need a doctor's note? I nearly always end up at the doctor's when I get something like this anyway, but getting an appointment is another matter :-( I'm basically just wondering whether my non-working days are included in sick-leave calculations. Also ( a subsidiary question!) out of interest; how does that Bradford Formula work in these circumstances? Any advice very much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

My understanding is that self-certification up to 7 days refers to the length of the sickness, not the number of working days you were absent. Why not check with school Bursar or HR person?

sally90 likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Rott Weiler is correct see https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave . If your first day sick was Tuesday (I am not sure how a day you were in for part of is treated) and you go back next Tuesday, then I think you should be able to self-certify as that makes exactly 7 days off. But as advised above, ask the school. BTW, I am not sure how the system works in practice given how long it takes to get an appointment. By the time you see the doctor, you are probably fit for work anyway!

sally90 likes this.
  4. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Thank you so much for your replies RW and Piranha-much appreciated; I'm sorry I didn't respond in a more timely manner yesterday but I didn't come online yesterday, I felt that gruesome :-(

You're right, Pirhana-I'll be better by the time I get to see a GP! If I have to get a note it'll probably be retrospective!

Thank you for the link. I will indeed have been off for 6 days on that basis. I did manage to crawl my way through Tuesday, with the help of a wonderful Mrs Doyle-type TA who kept me going with countless cups of tea, and the fact that we had an external provider in during the afternoon to lead workshops, so I didn't actually have to teach!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, because it includes the non-working weekend days.

So if Wednesday was your first day off sick, if you go in next Wednesday or before, you can self-certificate.

Hope you are feeling better now!

Best wishes

sally90 likes this.