1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick Leave for Stress

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by FedUpTeacher31, Feb 3, 2011.

1. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes.
    I was signed off on Monday for work related stress. I live relatively close to the school and am worried that at some point I will bump into a parent. Does anyone know what I can tell a parent if they ask why I'm not at school? I've been advised that I can't tell them I'm signed of with stress. I don't want to end up in a very difficult position.

2. Im off with depression and live close to the school.
    I have seen parents and some have said 'oh not at school' and Ive just said that Im poorly and off till xxxx date and theyve accepted it.As no one would really want to pry .
    I would have thought really that its up to you ? I may be wrong though?

3. Thank you.

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Who advised you that you cannot divulge the reason why you are off sick? Why should workplace stress be a more taboo reason than, say, a broken leg? Ill-health is ill-health.

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Definitely don't tell parents why you are off sick. 'Not well' is all they or anyone else (other than HT) needs to know.

6. ronnieg

ronnieg New commenter

For many there is s difference - they don't see stress/ depression as an illness. You can see a broken leg but there are no outward signs of mh issues. I suffer from depression and have done for 20 years on and off - I know it is an illness but still feel some people don't see it like that. At least with a broken leg you've a good idea how long it takes - depression or stress seems never ending.
    Some schools like to brush it under the carpet as it can reflect badly on them

7. Wear an eyepatch.