1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick Leave during Strike

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mary23, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Looking for people's advice regarding the below issue
    I work for a local authority and was off with a stomach virus the w/b 28th November, i also visited my GP during my absence. Upon my return i was informed that i would require a Medical Certificate (MC) to cover the 30th November (strike day) I went back to my GP who informed me that they do not give out MC for the first week of sickness as i am covered by my 7 days Self Cert (SC) i explained to them about the strike and that i would be at risk of losing a days pay, however they were very firm in that they do not give out MC for first week, neither for a single day.
    When informing my employer about this the HR department have started the wheels turning into having me docked a days pay for the 30th!
    I have informed my employer that they can contact my GP should they wish.....
    I feel as if i am being punished for being sick on the wrong week.... it is not from lack of trying to get a MC! Also i am not with the council's penison scheme so i have no interest in the strike action!
    Any help/ideas would be very much appreciated. Spent the whole of last night very teary and have lost my appetite as a result (trust me i love my food!)

2. Looking for people's advice regarding the below issue
    I work for a local authority and was off with a stomach virus the w/b 28th November, i also visited my GP during my absence. Upon my return i was informed that i would require a Medical Certificate (MC) to cover the 30th November (strike day) I went back to my GP who informed me that they do not give out MC for the first week of sickness as i am covered by my 7 days Self Cert (SC) i explained to them about the strike and that i would be at risk of losing a days pay, however they were very firm in that they do not give out MC for first week, neither for a single day.
    When informing my employer about this the HR department have started the wheels turning into having me docked a days pay for the 30th!
    I have informed my employer that they can contact my GP should they wish.....
    I feel as if i am being punished for being sick on the wrong week.... it is not from lack of trying to get a MC! Also i am not with the council's penison scheme so i have no interest in the strike action!
    Any help/ideas would be very much appreciated. Spent the whole of last night very teary and have lost my appetite as a result (trust me i love my food!)

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Not sure how fare you want to go with this, but I'd start dropping hints that the stress is making you ill, and you may well be off for the rest of term unless reassured about not losing a day's pay.

And I'd also contact my union - whether or not they were striking they have a duty to support you...

4. <font size="2">thank you for your suggestions, my partner suggested that also....</font>
    <font size="2">i have emailed my union contact for the authority, just waiting on a response. A colleague quoted my problem very well..... im a victim of circumstance!......</font>
    <font size="2">Im more frustrated that i am not getting any give or take from my employer, i have been getting one line responses, very little understanding for my personal situation. </font>

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

It's one thing them being picky about the rules if you were just off on the one day, but if you were off all week, are they seriously saying that they believe your self-certification for MTThF but not for Wednesday? Hopefully your union can persuade them to use a little common sense.

6. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Will the GP let you pay for a private medical certificate and then you can charge the school for it?

7. You say that you had no interest in strike action, therfore you admit that you would not have taken action to back up and support your union and your fellow collegues in the union. But now you want the unions help?
    This in my opinion is wrong.

8. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Why?
    Strikes are not compulsory...If she's paid her Union subs, she has the right to their support (maybe a Union not on strike, of course...)