1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick leave and reference

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jdogsdoggdog, Dec 29, 2016.

1. jdogsdoggdog

jdogsdoggdog New commenter

At the end of last term I decided that I did not want to finish out my NQT year at my current school. I don't believe the school is totally out of line or that my experience is that unusual, but I knew I didn't want to continue working there. (I've not gone into much detail as this isn't really the focus of my post)

I thought that knowing I was only at the school until Easter would make going back bearable, but I am now in an state where I'm unable to return to work next week.

I'm concerned that taking time off now will harm my reference, particularly if I do not return to work before Easter. (I'm not currently looking at teaching jobs, as I feel that I would benefit from some distance before deciding if I would like to continue my NQT year elsewhere.)

Does anyone have any experience of this or any advice to offer?

Thanks in advance

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you/will you be signed off by your GP?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. jdogsdoggdog

jdogsdoggdog New commenter

4 weeks this morning.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Firstly, take the opportunity to get better. Best wishes for a happier, healthier 2017.
    If a term in a school has left you in this state, you are wise to get some thinking space. A months sick leave may well not be positive on a reference, but it is what it is. Get better, rebuild yourself and your CV, and good luck.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Speak to your union. If you are leaving teaching, you may be able to get a job starting before Easter. Your school, if they think they will be paying sick pay until then, might well release you early to save money. However you need your union to negotiate this for you.

People have time off sick and then leave. It happens a lot in all occupations. Don't fret too much. It isn't perfect, but it isn't disastrous either.

dunnocks and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

Speak to your GP - sounds like you may be off for some time...

Your health always comes first.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

it isn't a good sign that you are posting in the middle of the night during a school holiday. :(

as others have said, don't worry about anything else except getting better right now. You can't guess exactly what the situation will be when you are well enough to start making decisions, so its a waste of energy trying to make those decisions prematurely, without all the options calculable.

As you have said, it is a common enough situation, and many before you have gone on to have long and happy careers in or out of teaching, and many after you will too.

Best wishes x

123Vanilla likes this.