1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sick Days and self-certification

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by grussell1, Dec 14, 2015.

1. grussell1

grussell1 New commenter

Hi, I was told off by my head teacher today because I took a day off back in September for tonsillitis and two days off last week for tonsillitis (again), I couldn't swallow or even talk at times. She said it was a concern I had taken 'so much time off' - 3 days to be exact. She also said that tonsillitis is not a 'good enough reason to be off' and I should have come in.

I looked at my job contract and it clearly states that I am entitled to 25 sick days each rolling year - she said that I am only allowed 3 periods of absence, and I have already taken two of them in this first term.

She also says that I could have a disciplinary action something something set against me if I take a third period of absence this year.

What should I do? Advice please.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

First thing is to look very carefully at the sick leave policy of your school. Where does it say about only 3 periods of absence?

If you can't find the policy, then go and ask the Business Manager.

I am assuming that this is an Academy or a Free School, not covered by the Burgundy Book and STPCD?

Or possibly a small Indy school, which doesn't abide by them either?

Because in a school, such as a Local Authority school, or an Academy which does give teacheres the same rights, there is no mention of 3 periods only a year . . .

And to say that a third period of absence would result in a disciplinary when she has also said that you are entitled to 3 periods is plain daft. So I guess that you may have misheard or misunderstood that bit. More than three, perhaps?

But only if that is in both the Sick Leave Policy and the Disciplinary Policy . . . Which I very much doubt!

Best wishes