1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sibelius Consecutives! A2 Technical Study

Discussion in 'Music' started by DevonAtHeart, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Does anyone know if there's a way of disabling the consecutive 5ths/8ves checker on Sibelius? I returned some a chorale to my students the other day and one was bemused by the amount of consecutive 5ths and 8ves I'd highlighted on her work. Her friend exclaimed 'Oh don't worry, in the exam you can check them on Sibelius!'...
    I hit the roof...how lazy! And how morally questionable! Anyway, I set them all straight, and their response was 'well, how are you going to know?'. Good point.
    Anyway, I'll obviously be watching those who do use Sibelius like a hawk, but just wondered if it's possible to disable it. What does anyone else do?

Thanks
    DaH

2. Hi all,
    Does anyone know if there's a way of disabling the consecutive 5ths/8ves checker on Sibelius? I returned some a chorale to my students the other day and one was bemused by the amount of consecutive 5ths and 8ves I'd highlighted on her work. Her friend exclaimed 'Oh don't worry, in the exam you can check them on Sibelius!'...
    I hit the roof...how lazy! And how morally questionable! Anyway, I set them all straight, and their response was 'well, how are you going to know?'. Good point.
    Anyway, I'll obviously be watching those who do use Sibelius like a hawk, but just wondered if it's possible to disable it. What does anyone else do?

Thanks
    DaH

3. In Sibelius 6 you can go to 'Edit Plug-ins' and 'unload' it and then 're-load' it later. You can see in the list that it has been unloaded though, so it depends how much the student knows about Sibelius. I don't think any of mine would know how to do it though. You can actually delete it but this removes it from the hard drive and I'm not sure how you'd get it back again.
    I agree that it is lazy and, like you, I always try to get students to learn how to check for themselves. I'd like to think they can avoid many of them in the first place through my excellent teaching ....... oh well, I can dream can't I?!

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

While the Sibelius plug-in will spot consecutives (although I'm not sure that it recognizes hidden consecutives or consecutives by contrary motion), I don't think it will correct them, which is a much harder task.

5. Indeed, while Dr Benham continued to bemoan the use of software to detect consecutives - and yes, it does detect hidden 5ths (although I was taught that they were called approached 5ths) and contrary motion 5ths - he was shown impressive evidence that showed that candidates often lost more marks avoiding consecutives, often causing a double whammy of voice-leading and unusual chord errors, than they would have done taking the -1 for consecutives.

6. Thanks for all this - it's very helpful. muso-tim, I think I'll show read your comment from Dr Benham to my class!