1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sibelius 6 - missing bar lines

Discussion in 'Music' started by Sallym86, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi, one of my students has removed all the bar lines from their composition by mistake.

Anyone have any ideas how to get them back. I would know in an older version of Sibelius, but this is in Sibelius 6 and I can't work it out.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Hi, one of my students has removed all the bar lines from their composition by mistake.

Anyone have any ideas how to get them back. I would know in an older version of Sibelius, but this is in Sibelius 6 and I can't work it out.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

3. House style > Engraving Rules > Bar Lines > Default Bar Line Type> then make sure invisible is not ticked

4. Thank you! Shall check for that on Monday

5. Hey, thanks but that did not work. Any more ideas?

6. I thought the same as the above poster until you replied. Ctrl-Alt-H will show them if they have been hidden somehow but I suspect you'd then have to create new 'normal' barlines individually. If it is quite a straightforward composition (without key/time changes etc.) it might be easier just to copy and paste it into a new document.

7. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

It seems that the barlines have been deleted rather than hidden, by selecting the top or bottom of a bar line and then deleting. If so, then to 'unhide' them will of course make no difference - they do not exist and cannot be made to re-appear.
    To re-draw barlines, you need a stave in your score with bar lines. If you haven't got one, create a new instrument in the usual way - this will have the bar lines by default, even though the existing staves have had theirs deleted.
    Then, select the very top or bottom of any new bar line, and drag the highlighted square up or down, across the staves with missing bar lines, and new bar lines will be created.
    Then remove any redundant staves you might have created and re-group your bar lines according to your needs.
    This would be the same technique for earlier versions of Sibelius (though perhaps not ver. 1) and apploes when bar lines have been deleted, as opposed to hidden/made invisible.
    I hope this helps.

8. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

> apploes

*applies*

9. This worked for my student, many thanks!