1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SIAS Toolkit - Help!!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by way2serious, Mar 20, 2011.

1. I have just realised that we do not have our Toolkit written. This is the first time I have worked in a Church school and so do not have any experience of writing one before. I am finding some of the wording a bit tricky to get right - is there anyone who would be willing to share theirs??

2. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

I've written one for our school but much of it depends on the type of church school you are. If you are voluntary controlled, controlled or aided the 'slant' is very different.
    Think about cross referencing [in no particular order]:
    • Your PSHE policy
    • School ethos
    • Community cohesion/projects/contacts
    • ECM [yes I know that's no longer 'the flavour of the month' but it still worth including]
    • Anti-bullying work
    • Parental questionnaires
    • Awards i.e. ECO, Artsmark etc for spiritual reflection
    • Circle time
    • School council
    • Obviously your work with church/vicar/foundation governors etc
    • Collective worship and RE curriculum, programme, records, resources, assessments and observations
    • Visits and visitors
    • Family learning, website, information to parents, reports, policies
    • CPD
    • Pupil involvement at all levels, planning/leading worship
    • Shared understanding/values/characteristics/sense of belonging/Diocesan family/knowing the structure of the church family
    • Your school's distinct Christian character-what makes it special?
    Hope this helps.[​IMG]

3. Thanks Mychuck for that list. It is very helpful. We are a controlled school and I wondered how overtly Christian I should be as I didn't want it to sound too strong or put the wrong emphasis. Also about how long should it be? i have lots to go in some sections but find others quite short!

4. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Hi. We are Voluntary Contolled and so our RE section is blank. All the other sections are two to two and a half sides of A4 landscape. Cross reference your school ethos and well-being/emotional/pastoral care within spiritual guidance. We stress strong Christian guidance within our PSHE. We achieved a grade of Outstanding last year and we are by no means 'heavily' religious. You need to be respectful of all views and values within all religions but highlight Christian values as your key.
    Hope this is helpful.[​IMG]