1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SIAS Inspections (Statutory Inspection of Anglican Schools)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JohnRidley, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Hi, I am interested in the relationship between SIAS and Ofsted judgements. Each has separate criteria and arrives at an independent judgement. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has received a SIAS grade that differs from their Ofsted grade and also from anyone whose SIAS grade has been changed to match that of Ofsted. Thank you

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we has our SIAS yesterday. the grade matched the ofsted, but there was no guarantee that it would.
    why would SIAS grade be changed, i wonder?

3. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Our Ofsted put us into Notice to Improve and gave us a "satisfactory" for care and guidance. Our SIAS said we were outstanding in all areas. Confused? Me to!

4. Hi - the initial SIAS grade is provisional and can be changed within a week or so. Thanks for your reply. I suspect that generally the grades are the same and it's good to hear of some independent judgements.

5. Thanks. That's really interesting and I can understand why you are confused.

6. I think their inspections focus on pretty different areas!!
    Our Ofsted was satisfactory, SIAS outstanding. I assume SIAS inspector is not generally aware of the Ofsted grading, as they come almost immediately after the initial inspection - and obviously Ofsted results aren't given out before the official report.

7. Thanks for that - the criteria are very different but the SIAS inspection is triggered by Ofsted which means they either happen at the same time or SIAS is later. The National Society is unaware of any research that looks at the relationship between SIAS and Ofsted grades. I think this would be very revealing.

8. Should be completely separate as look at different things - in the same way as you can be outstanding in one area of ofsted but satisfactory in another. I know that our diocese knowingly gave one school outstanding when their ofsted had been barely satisfactory, as they felt that in terms of distinctiveness as a church school and all they were doing for CW and RE, they were doing an outstanding job.