1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Si - look what I have found (yummy thing to do with haggis)

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Jan 18, 2011.

1. I saw today that M&S stock veggie haggis, they were 2 for £3, I think. I have a Sue Lawrence recipe for haggis bread that I have wanted to try for a while, and this website has fab recipes, thanks.

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Haggis pakora is actually very yummy! My father (Indian) rolls his eyes, but hey, I'm a half breed and haggis pakora appeals to my mixed culinary race sensibilities. Another great thing to do with it is stuff chicken thighs and bake them.

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Ha, ha - thanks for that website! I'm going to surprise Mr M... [​IMG]

4. I was served haggis wonton at a recent Hogmanay do. Yummy!

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Am I missing something here? Veggie haggis? There is no such thing, surely? You're making it up...
    Or is this yet another marketing ploy?

6. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Its certainly been available in supermarkets in the UK since the early nineties, I could never understand the point myself as presumably it ends up tasting like a big ball of stuffing. Sadly no chance of haggis over here at the moment, I'll have to have a word with the butcher, but as its already 28 Celcius outside, haggis is not the sort of thing you can really eat at present.

7. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I was surprised at veggie haggis too !
    Why you'd want to eat something that ressembles a meat product, I just don't understand.
    Not much veggie stuff here: for school lunches it's tough luck for vegetarians.
    Halal products are on the rise, though, in major supermarkets ( but not for school lunches ! )

8. Si N. Tiffick

As a comitted meat eater, and one who enjoys offal, I still prefer the veggie haggis- the texture is much nicer and if fried with a little worcester sauce and sage (as I do with the meaty version) it comes up crispy and wonderful. Try a McSween's veggie haggis and try to tell me it's not delicious. Makes wonderful stuffing for chicken, too.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Veggie haggis is a culinary contradiction!
    My fave way of eating haggis was at a local bistro a few years ago. They served it in small wedges, deep fried in crispy batter and with a pile of handcut fat chips and a little pot of brown (HP) sauce for dipping.
    Truly scrummy!

10. Si N. Tiffick

In the chippies up here they serve it in a sausage shape, deep fried, served with chips and brown sauce. I'm not a fan.

11. I am not a vegetarian, but I prefer the vegetarian version. I find it much tastier.

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

This wasn't in a chippie Si.....it was in the bistro/bar section of an award winning restaurant). It was yummy!