1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Si - Beef mince in Murphy's

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Feb 15, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Got some lovely mince to use so fancied the mince in Murphy's you've mentioned a few times. Will be very handy to have some frozen as a quick weekday tea, either with mash or made into a pie/cottage pie.
    Guessing - onions, carrots, woody herbs, mince, a little flour (or tom puree?) and the stout, then a very low oven for a few hours?
    How much Murphy's to mince?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Got some lovely mince to use so fancied the mince in Murphy's you've mentioned a few times. Will be very handy to have some frozen as a quick weekday tea, either with mash or made into a pie/cottage pie.
    Guessing - onions, carrots, woody herbs, mince, a little flour (or tom puree?) and the stout, then a very low oven for a few hours?
    How much Murphy's to mince?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

If I was doing this nick I'd add a bottle of Murphy's to 2lb/1kg mince. Just my gut feeling!

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Yep- I add finely chopped celery with the onions, and a bouquet garni incl bay and woody herbs, a scoosh of worcester sauce, plenty of black pepper and a wee bit of tomato puree. Diced carrot too. I don't put any flour in- the stout gets quite thick anyway. I use most of a a big can of Murphy's for a Lb of mince (or more usually a can and a half to a kilo, so there is plenty to freeze!).
    Hope this wasn't too late for you.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Thanks Si and Belle. About what I was thinking. I've adapted according to what we've got in.
    And - such a shame that I could only buy Murphy's in a four-pack. So unfortunate that the remainder have had to go in the fridge and therefore have to be consumed this evening, so they're not taking up too much space...

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

That sounds awful! [​IMG]