1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shut up!!!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by festival fever, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Is it acceptable for a teacher to say this to students in the classroom?

2. Depends where you are... I was told by one of my PGCE mentors from up north that she used to ask her children to 'shut up' like I would ask mine to 'be quiet'... If you think about it, it's actually quite an inoffensive phrase.

3. Say 'shut it' like Regan in the Sweeney. Spit it out with bile like your talking to an armed blagger

4. Well, I said it in the same way as I would say and mean 'be quiet' but the kids just went 'ooooh bad words miss'...eh????

5. Just say: 'Since when is SHUT and UP bad words?'

I wonder what they'd reply ;-)

6. teachur

teachur New commenter

Do a search - this has been done to death on these boards!

7. I only say (shout :S) it rarely and I prefer not to but it slips out sometimes. Kids are funny peculiar; they are often rude themselves but they really expect teachers not to be rude and they find 'shut up' just plain rude. They call you for being rude and they are right it is rude. How can we tell them on one hand to be polite and on the other hand not be polite to them. You won't get much respect from them for 'shut up'. They kind of have high expectations of teachers and even when they, themselves are bad mannered, they don't like teachers to be bad mannered. I don't know if I am making sense here.

I'm trying to say that they DO have certain values regarding teachers and we kind of have a duty to model politeness even when they are little sh!ts. Saying that, I shouted 'shut up' at one particular group a few days ago just in perfect timing for SMT to walk in my class, sigh. Ah well, I'm working on it;)

8. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

If they say " shut up" is a rude word:

1. It's TWO rude words actually.

9. Shut your cake hole?
    Shut your gob...

10. I've done the sweeney "Shut it" - has to be done with daft voice too.
    Zip it works quite well.

11. I never mean to say it and i'd rather not, but occasionally it does slip out. Thanks Bet, that has clarified it for me - I think the kids did think I was being rude. Only one consolation, at least i didn't say 'shut the **** up!!!' :)

12. If I am getting really ****** off with a class, I go in my cupboard to 'get soomething' and then I call them all the little **cking little blisterds under the sun In the privacy of my own cupboard. Works for me.

13. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I must say that I don't get that one either.Considering how proper rude most kids are,how can they all think that "shut up" is the high of rudeness? I've used it at times when really angry at a class and their reaction is as if I had said "shut the **** up".

14. If I do say (growl) "Shut up", I usually preface it with "Well, I've tried the polite way, but nobody seems to respond to that today, so..."

15. I jangle a tambourine to quieten my Year 2s. However, if one continues to talk I start to smash them repeatedly over the face with it screaming "SHUT UP!! SHUT THE **** UP YOU F*CKING ****!!!!"
    That works.

I hope that helps.

16. misseviltoyou

misseviltoyou New commenter

Respect is something to be earned on both sides. If a pupil expects to be treated like a little prince, while treating his teachers like s**t, then that's his problem and I'll happily tell him to shut his face and get out of mine. However, this is "aggressive language which activates the lizard brain" (save us from this bull) and can be conducive to the manipulative little ******* accusing you of being intimidating since the investigation that ensues takes the heat off them for being obnoxious & abusive.

17. I dont tend to say 'Shut Up' as I do think its a bit rude. I wouldnt like being told to shut up. It might have slipped out a few times however, and it does stun them into silence.

I find that actually telling them they are being rude by talking over me etc actually helps quieten them too. For some reason most dont like to be seen as rude

18. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

This has been done before.
    Typical classroom exchange in some schools (and some housing estates).

TEACHER: Can you listen please so I can explain what to do.
    BOY (to a girl across the room): *** ya mom, ya ho.
    GIRL (replying loudly): *** ya dad, ya nob
    BOY: *** ya grandad, suk 'im off
    GIRL: *** ya dead nan, *****
    TEACHER: Can you7 two be quiet please, this is not nice
    (Class doesn't bat an eyelid).
    BOY: *** ya dog, up yer ass
    GIRL: *** a horse, up yer ass ya battyboy,

Conversation continues, getting more obscene......

TEACHER: Can you two please shut up and let me teach!!

Class is silent, shocked by the obscene nature of what the teacher has just said.. A few start to cry. No one can quite believe what the teacher has just said......

Really? LOL.

19. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Love it,garyconyers! So true.

20. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

Exactly!!

I mean, have those teachers saying "shut up is sooooooo rude, you can't say that to these dear, delicate children" actually heard the way teenagers talk?

(Last time I put up a similar post to the same point that ended the discussion).