1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

shows in London

Discussion in 'Music' started by jonowen, Jan 16, 2012.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Mr.Jo and I are planning a London trip and I've been looking on-line at what's on in the various theatres. The choice is so vast, and (as a cannie Scot this is the worst bit!) the booking fees are ridiculous, imho. Do I have to book or can our friends buy and collect our tickets or can we just hope that we can "buy on the day"? I accept that to go to something I really want to see, it's worth it but to be honest, there is nothing I MUST see before my next big birthday!

2. jonowen

Mr.Jo and I are planning a London trip and I've been looking on-line at what's on in the various theatres. The choice is so vast, and (as a cannie Scot this is the worst bit!) the booking fees are ridiculous, imho. Do I have to book or can our friends buy and collect our tickets or can we just hope that we can "buy on the day"? I accept that to go to something I really want to see, it's worth it but to be honest, there is nothing I MUST see before my next big birthday!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

My D-i-L regularly visits us from Edinburgh (we are 1/2 hour on the train from Euston). She loves attending shows and so when she's down she makes her way to Leicester Square and buys tickets from the 1/2 price booth on the day. If you are not too fussed about which show you want to see they usually have something on offer - she has never been disappointed yet.
    http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts/

4. jonowen

Marlin, thank you again! That sounds perfect [​IMG]

5. As a Scot now working away in London I agree with Marlin. Go to tkts about 10 in the morning and you have your pick pretty much! Enjoy.... I highly recommed Wicked and Legally Blonde!

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You can probably get stand-by and reduced price day-tickets at all three of the main opera houses in London if you are able and willing to queue at the appropriate times.
    However, I have to sat that opera seems to be so popular these days, that you may find it difficult to get a discount. As a keen opera goer, who often pops into the ROH, ENO and Sadlers Wells. I often used to prefer Scottish Opera productions (especially their fabulous touring Tosca) that only rarely came near London. Personally, I'd rather got to Scotland to see them, so don't place too much faith in London musicals!

7. jonowen

me too Florian - as it's closer and cheaper!!
    Seriously, we are visiting our actor son for the first time in his new home and feel we must take advantage of the choice of live music in London. I am torn between a serious music concert (as all the Scottish orchestras are on tour when we are on holiday, so we miss out), a musical or a play. I'm afraid I can't relax and enjoy opera - I havn't been to enough, I suppose? That's a project for retirement.........[​IMG]

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

More likely you have not spent enough on alcohol. Arrive 45 minutes before curtain up, head for the bar - order a bottle of wine, plus another for the first interval and a third for the second interval. Check that your taxi driver knows exactly how to find you at the end, even if you are totally plastered.
    Personally, I love going up to town for a really good opera (something with four deaths, and a fair amount of torture, such as Tosca, always goes down well). Mrs FG complains at the cost, until I point out that it is rarely more than the latest winter coat that she's only worn once, and even she was splitting her sides at the ENO production of Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore just before Christmas - the sight of the entire womens' chorus agonizing to spend a penny at the start of Act Two (replete with flushing sounds at the end of each verse) went down a treat.

9. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

I saw a wonderful show in Soho once. A delightful young lady stopped me in the street and invited me in for nothing. The drinks were very expensive though and you'd struggle to fit a whole class in the little booth.
    Lennox