1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Showing sense of humour in interview :s

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by MAX2012, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I had an interview today and everything went really well. They told me my teaching was strong which was great! And even my answers in the interview were good according to the head, however they said I was unsuccessful on this occasion and the feedback I got was that I didn't show my sense of humour enough in the interview :S
    Can anyone give me any advice as to how I can improve on this? I admit that I am rather a nervous person when it comes to interviews.
    Thanks
    Katy

2. Hi Katy, I don't know that much about interviews, but that's sounds to me like a really pathetic reason for not appointing you. Humour is such a personal thing, and having on many occasions said something myself which I thought was the height of wit only to be met by a tumbleweed moment, revealing my sense of humour in an interview would definitely not win me a post. I do know of friends who have been asked to tell a joke in interviews, so it might be worth having one or two suitable ones up your sleeve, but make sure you can deliver them in an 'off the cuff' way, rather than them seeming forced. Appearing as a professional would be further up my list of priorities than this, but I could be wrong - have you posted on the jobseekers forum as well? Other than that, make sure you keep smiling; I certainly wouldn't worry about this x.

3. Hi thanks for the reply
    I've posted it in jobseekers now too.
    Yes that was my thoughts that I should seem to be professional!
    Oh well onwards and upwards.
    Katy

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Theo and I have both offered advice on this over on the Jobseekers thread you started. I hope it helps!