1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Showing 'progression' in ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by kal-mc, Feb 7, 2012.

1. kal-mc

kal-mc New commenter

Hi, a colleague and I have been having trouble effectively demonstrating progress in our lessons for observers. We know it is taking place, but was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for putting it 'on show' during an observation. We use a plenary where students have to write up the learning that took place and mark a traffic light to show how they feel they progressed, but SLT didn't seem impressed.

2. kal-mc

kal-mc New commenter

Hi, a colleague and I have been having trouble effectively demonstrating progress in our lessons for observers. We know it is taking place, but was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for putting it 'on show' during an observation. We use a plenary where students have to write up the learning that took place and mark a traffic light to show how they feel they progressed, but SLT didn't seem impressed.

3. Perhaps you could ask them for a suggestion or two, on how you show progress between e.g. making a podcast radio show and the next module, a modelling spreadsheet and the next one, Greenfoot and an Introduction to Games Prpgramming. Measuring ICT progress between completely dissimilar units is all ****** - always has been and always will be, although I'm sure a few contributers out there would like to discuss measuring "competances" whilst keeping a serious and straight face on.
    Roll on July and Kathmandu.

4. I am working in BEaconhouse school system in Pakistan and i started to embed the use of ICT in teaching and leaning.As you are working on ICT lesson i want to know that what barrieresand hurdles you feel during work ICT integration.

5. cj3

cj3

I know what you mean re progress - and this is within a lesson - not summative assessement. We too recieved disappointing observation grades because kids had not show sufficient progress between starter and main activity! I think you need to have differentiated WILFs and some way of getting them to show you what they have learned every 10 minutes or so - use mini whiteboards????
    You only have to do this on observation lessons - just as well otherwise nothing would ever get done/finished.

6. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

You need to show that ALL pupils are making progress so what have they leant - look at the lesson and all pupisl in it from the AG&T through to SEN are they all engaged and progressing and how have you measure tehir progress!

7. kal-mc

kal-mc New commenter

SLT suggested using 'pitstops' where the students are stopped for a minute to check understanding to show they have progressed (similar to what cj3 suggested) we are going to implement this into lessons, just need to figure out how we want students to respond and were wondering what others did?

I am happy to 'put on a bit of a show' for observations, but want to know how best to do it and even better if it actually aids the lesson.

Thanks TonyUK, I am confident each student is progressing, but just unsure how to show this clearly to an observer to go beyond a 'satisfactory' grading

8. Here's another idea. To show progress in a practical ICT lesson such as controlled assessment, you can use post it notes that the pupils write their target grades on and what they hope to achieve by the end of the lesson. Get them to stick it on their monitor. They can then tick off the tasks as they do them. Not only are the pupils setting their own objectives, they are aware of their targets and how to achieve them. This way any observer can see you are making sense of their progress during the lesson at any point they walk in. Also, you can use the post-its as a diary record that they can use in an evaluation.

9. If you have ever been on a brilliant course (I have, my ITT was ace) I'd be very interested how the course (at 1hourly points) could have shown that I and every other student had made progress to external scrutiny?
    -
    Just saying...

10. I totally agree. The idea that you can "measure" progression in a 50 minutes lesson for a class of 30 pupils, whose ability varies, and track their "progress" against some pre-written target, which can then be used to feed into the next target, and help the teacher to adjust their teaching is, in the word of a previous poster, "******".

11. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

We tend to get the students to write down three targets for the lesson based on tasks set and feedback on previous tasks. They then, to use the term above, "pitstop" part way through and evaluate where they have got to against their own targets. Sometimes work on this in pairs, sometimes solo.
    Plenary similar but get the odd one or two to explain their progress to the group, maybe demo what they have achieved on big screen.

12. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

At the start of the observation, get agreement from the students about what they don't or didn't know already.
    "Do you know what a mail merge is...?"
    "Do you know HOW to...."
    For those that do know, have some other task at hand on the VLE.
    provided that the answer is 'no/not sure' etc and it is absolutely clear that no-one in the class has mastered it (how you gain this information is up to you), by the time they've learnt the skill, there can be no denying that progress has not been made.
    For some classes, I always ask them to verbalise what they've learnt before they are allowed to leave. They learn to do this in the context of the learning objectives, or some other skill they've picked up during the lesson.
    I agree that it can be hard to differentiate for all students in all lessons.

13. I'm no expert on this BUT FOR OBSERVATIONS ONLY I have taken to giving the kids a checklist.

On the checklist are the objectives for the lesson, sometimes split into little 'sub-objectives' with 'Y','N' or 'Not Sure' written next to them..

When the kids come in, I get them to circle 'Y','N' or 'Not Sure' answers to the various topics and they enter their answers on the sheet which hopefully be near to the 'N' zone. All of the objectives and the answer area are then duplicated below.

As we progress through the lesson, I get the kids to update their answers in the duplicate area below, in particular when the inspector walks in. As I'm sure you know, there is nothing revolutionary about this and it is really just a more regularly updated 'exit card'. It is also irrational, silly and time-wasting - bit like Ofsted.

I leave these in the kids folders which allows the inspectors to also see progress in there which is also vital.

14. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

Many subjects revolve around projects / coursework / evidence compiling, things that may take several lessons or even months to create. If a pupil is 'progressing' though the evidence for how they created something (take the OCR Nationals for example), is this progression through the lesson?
    If not, then wipe half the curriculum out... or is this what the plan is all about? [​IMG]

15. I think the plan is that observers don't want to see a normal lesson they want a 'show' lesson. They expect a specially planned performance.

We just jump through the hoops.

16. That's fine unless you get SMT doing anannounced observations - then it just feels like they are trying to catch you out with lack of differentiation and no evidence of progress.

17. Why not "write-up what they learnt"?
    Nothing personal - but I do hate this sort of 'speak'.

18. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

The point about progression came up at a recent staff meeting at my school. We are an IB school and use levels 1-7. We are all told that we must show progression. The system is different from the UK in that it is possible to get a level 7 in each year. The levels are not progressive by nature. I find that the students that do well at photoshop won't necessarily do well at databases, for example, so rather than progression they appear to regress. Is that due to my poor teaching? I don't think so. The Maths department also find that students stay at the same level or regress as they go from year to year because the Maths gets harder. Why, on earth would we expect students to get better as a subject gets harder anyway?

19. Can I get a copy please
    alansimonbrown(at)yahoo.co.uk

thanks

20. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

Our school have been mad on showing progress for a while. The thing SLT really like is having 3 boxes on a sheet/electronically for each student. In the boxes are SATISFACTORY/GOOD/OUSTANDING with explanations of what the pupil would have to have achieved by the end of the lesson to have reached that level of progress. For example, a student who is targeted at a D at KS4 would show satisfactory progress by achieving a mid-D, good progress by achieving a solid D and outstanding progress by achieving a C. At the end of the lesson they tack the statements in each box to try and map out what individual progress they have made that lesson. Sometimes these boxes are put on each individual task they do.

It's a lot of work but SLT love it