1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Showing progress in Year 1

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by thecubes, Jun 20, 2014.

1. I'm currently in a dilemma as to how I can show progress in Year 1 compared to EYFS.

All teachers in our school are expected to show at least 2 sub-levels of progress from the previous year. As a teacher new to Year 1 I'm not sure how to show this when prior to Year 1 the children were not on national curriculum levels unless they were classed as 'exceeding'. The head has taken my results from Autumn 1 (assessment carried out October 2013) and my most recent set of assessment data and tracked the progress. Some children have made 2sub-levels of progress but not all.

I am concerned as this is tracked only from Oct - June and not June -June, as is the case with all other staff. My head has intimated that at present the data indicates that my class have not made the required level of progress and this will be reflected in my performance review. I disagree and feel that my class have made progress that is good or better based on their status as emerging/expected/exceeding at EYFS.

In my Year 1 data I have classed 1b as below expectations, 1a as meeting expectations, and 2c as exceeding expectations. Using this criteria I can show that children have moved from expected to 1a etc with some anomalies both good and bad.

Does anyone else have this experience/any advice? Some threads suggest heads and Year 1 teachers are incorrectly using PScales - to the disgust of EYFS colleagues. Whilst I don't intend to do this I can see why some people are using this system.

HELP!

2. Joydoron

Joydoron New commenter

We call 1b lower end of average and 1a higher end of average (because average is 1a - 1b) We are expected to make 2 sub levels per year, but we assess where the children are in Oct and then work out the progress pro-rata so for 5 half terms we would expect to make 5/6 of 2 sub levels of progress (which you can calculate across the class). In our school experienced staff are expected to average 3 sub-levels in year 1 i.e. 5/6 of 3 sub levels from Oct.)

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Change all of your sub-level criteria to make the student work gain higher levels.

4. Thanks for the reply. I have revisited the data with the head and after external moderation the results were actually better than expected. We stuck with 1a as expected and 1b below and 2c above as we felt this reflected high expectations. This meant that children exceeding in reception we expect will reach 2c+ by the end of June. I think the problem was that too many children were generously graded early on but familiarity with the levels meant a more accurate picture emerged by the end of the year. It's also a bonus that the external moderation with another local school actually suggested that we marked slightly too hard at the end of the year. Hopefully a more balanced approach next year! (When it all changes again anyway. Ha ha)

5. moodhoover

moodhoover New commenter

In KS 1, children are expected to make 3 sublevels' (1 whole level) progress.